home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
jet_brick
Board Member

Default injector relay connector pains

we all know the injector relay on the driver side shock tower can be a huge pain.
It has been the #1 source of running issues on my 91 740 Turbo. The female connectors came loose / corroded, and the weird wax insulating material eventually hardens and falls apart.
anyway I found some decent female connectors to attach more directly to the relay, but they seem to conduct differently- the car idles a lot smoother, but also the fuel pressure seems to be a little higher than usual- these are nice because they have one crimp end and one female connector end, which is insulated to prevent shorting. Anyone have any similar fixes?

thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Three Fat Tigers
Board Member

Location: ↓ Lynchburg, VA →| '89 740Ti | '90 760Ti | '92 240 | '94 940T | '96 960 | '96 M1

Yes, you can cut off the factory relay connector and install (splice in) a universal generic Bosch type automotive relay and socket, the kind you can find almost anywhere, including wal-mart. It's just a simple single pole single throw relay.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
jet_brick
Board Member

what a crap setup from factory- ridiculous, and the shorting can lead to a fire in no time. If the pins don't seat well, it lends itself to all types of running headaches. I would recommend everyone replace the stock connectors- my car runs completely better now... all because of a stinking relay that has caused many hours of rewiring/troubleshooting, bleh
jet_brick is offline   Reply With Quote