home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #76
cwdodson88
Board Member

when you pull the distributor out, set the adjusting slot 80/20 so you can go 80% of the slot advance and 20% retard with the rotor still pointed at 0... does that make sense? I'm thinking at some point someone re-phased the distributor to allow for more advance.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #77
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Interesting...I would try removing the distributor and re-installing as cwdodson88 described. Not too difficult. See pg 44: http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbook...on_systems.pdf
oldschoolvolvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #78
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

I like it.
I'll shoot timing this evening, and if it is too far advanced, I'll re-mount the distributor. I'd far prefer this to doing some temporary change on the belt indexing.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #79
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Good news.
Timing was +3*(retard), so I was able to advance it to the spec 10* advance without having to re-install the distributor. It actually seemed to run better when I overshot initially to 14* but I set it back to 10 for now.

It is driving MUCH better - I'd say it was at a 2/10 before and is at a conservative 6/10 now, just by setting the timing to spec.
it loses juice with load and throttle input, but is much better than before. I drove it home just fine.

Now I can focus on the finer tuning, starting with verifying the vacuum advance function, then on to K-jet.

I'll also try to empty everything out of the car and give her a MUCH needed deep cleaning in and out for some photos. I'll be sure to snap some "before" shots, even though the rims have already been painted.
If weather permits, I might try to compound and wax the paint to break up the peeling clearcoat and take down the oxidized areas.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-26-2016 at 09:02 AM..
canyoneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #80
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

way to go!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #81
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Checked the vacuum advance, and it's fine. The car still stutters under load, so I will need to do some more tuning, but it is driving well enough for DD duty

Otherwise, I did a deep wash/clean and one pass of compound. I used the Meguiar's clay bar and the DA Power drill attachment with their "Ultimate Compound". I'm pleased with the results. I only hit the oxidized areas with the compound for now, but will probably do a light pass on the whole car before taking it the next step.
After only that first pass, the car is looking MUCH better.
Next will be polish then wax, but light has faded and that will have to wait for another day.

Here it is at the start of the day - badly oxidized paint.....

The driver's side wasn't too bad, just dirty. The passenger side was as bad as the roof.

And at the end of the day. Getting better!!!!!!!

The hood is a slightly redder shade - must've been repainted or replaced at some point.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-28-2016 at 07:44 PM..
Old 02-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #82
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Project so far:
Purchase: $500
Parts: approx $2,500
Time: Approx 40 hours

I've been having alot of fun getting into the car and freshening it up. My main focus will be to get it running a bit stronger, and then it will be time to update the suspension. I'm wanting to keep it "bang for the buck", so am leaning towards IPD sport springs with mid-level shock upgrades and the usual ball joints/tie rod ends/bushings.
I'll have to economize on the shocks unless I suddenly come into more cash. I have a set of 25mm IPD sways sitting in the back, ready to put in. The current suspension looks original and feels tired.

Any thoughts on shocks/struts? I'd love to ultimately go with Billy HD's or Konis, but I need an interim solution that doesn't hit the pocketbook quite as hard. Billy touring? Sachs Turbo? KYB Gas (rear)/Excel-G (front)?
Old 02-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #83
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

There are lots of opinions on shocks but my brother upgraded his 240 with Boge Turbo Gas shocks/struts, most poly bushings and ipd sway bars. Makes a world of difference on a tired suspension and rides really nicely.

I have Bilstein HD and ipd springs on my car with poly bushings and is definitely firmer than my brother's car, especially over low speed bumps.

Also, nice work on the paint refresh. I'm hoping to do something similar in the spring.

Last edited by oldschoolvolvo; 02-29-2016 at 10:00 AM..
Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #84
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

That old single stage always cleans up so well.

Looks like you're making some great progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
easiest way to run 11's is to build a 9 second car and turn it down a little.
My Project (It's a 1979 244DL...sort of.)
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #85
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Thanks, guys. It's been fun so far. K-Jet is going to be a love/hate thing, I'm sure - from what I've read online, my hesitation/sputtering issues are pretty typical for K-Jet

I also forgot to mention that impolvo had a spare OEM air dam that I bought, and will get it cleaned, primed and painted (black) soon. I also plan to paint the buttcheeks black (driver's side will need some re-working to fix the rust).
Old 02-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #86
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

If you get real ambitious, you can still get those buttcheeks as patch panels.

http://raybuck.com/c-248271-repair-p...o-140-240.html
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #87
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
If you get real ambitious, you can still get those buttcheeks as patch panels.

http://raybuck.com/c-248271-repair-p...o-140-240.html
Oh hell yes. Thank you!
Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #88
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Great news...
Got in the car to come home, started it up, then started to drive, fully expecting the usual hesitation.
There was no hesitation.
In fact, the car drove FANTASTICALLY.

I suspect the techron that I put in several weeks ago has finally had a chance to do its work within the bowels of the K-Jet CIS labrynth now that I'm actually driving it (from when I had purchased the car until last weekend, I had driven the car perhaps 8 miles max).
It feels like something within the fuel injection got ungummed/freed up - just a guess, but whatever the case may be, it runs great now.

The car accelerated without any sign of hesitation - it actually felt -ahem- ...... spunky! Plenty of power and torque when needed.

On a related note, today was the first chance I had to actually use the O/D switch, and everything seems to work great - very quick actuation in and out of O/D.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-29-2016 at 07:00 PM..
Old 02-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #89
impolvo
Is always busy

**** yea!
That's awesome
She wanted some love that's all

On An unrelated note my Bertone has begun
Thats why you get a mans car... A 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidponymilk View Post
You people keep crushing them, you're going to run out eventually.
impolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #90
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by impolvo View Post
**** yea!

On An unrelated note my Bertone has begun
Nice!
I need to swing by to see it - I noticed an engine puller sitting behind the Bertone the other day, got me wondering......
Old 02-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #91
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

w00t!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #92
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
w00t!
yep! It is driving GREAT!

by any chance are you (or were you) a gamer? I haven't heard "WOOT" since my WoW days
Old 03-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #93
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Haha! I am not a gamer, but I guess I picked up some internet slang over the years.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #94
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Welp, the stutter is back......
The car hesitates again under load, though not quite as badly as before. I'll double check spark, but I suspect it is an intermittent issue with K-Jet.

The K-Jet adventure begins........
Old 03-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #95
brendon_ak
Board Member

Have you done any service to the transmission? I'd reccomend draining the oil and popping the solenoid out to clean it too, just in case.

And sorry to hear about k-jet, if I were you , I'd just find a 1985-1988 240 in a yard, pull the intake and engine wiring harness and swap over to LH2.2. That's what I did and kept my stock Bosch ignition (I also have a 79) and it's flawless. Smooth, starts all the time, even in -20 temps.

Regarding suspension, you can build coilovers for cheap. That said I first went with IPD lowering springs and used Billy HD's, awesome bang for buck I think. Poly makes a HUGE difference, but it also is so good it might transfer more noise from the road and your drivetrain into the car. I also boxed the suspension arms too, well worth the upgrade. In lieu of poly maybe price out OEM rubber replacement too.

Here's my 92 on those same lowering springs

On 14" steelies

The thing I like about the IPD springs is they're low enough to look good with 17" wheels but not too low that you need to worry about fender clearance. Keep in mind you'll need to align your car no matter how low you go.
brendon_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #96
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Regarding the stutter...
-Were you able to check the fuel pressures?
-Does the main pump make any noises while it's running?
Old 03-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #97
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon_ak View Post
Have you done any service to the transmission? I'd reccomend draining the oil and popping the solenoid out to clean it too, just in case.
Yup, fresh oil in the tranny and diff.

I'm sure as I live with the K-Jet, I'll begin dreaming of alternatives - LH, Carbs, hmmm...

That is a really nice looking 240 you have there. LOVE the color, but I'm not partial or anything

Last edited by canyoneagle; 03-02-2016 at 03:26 PM..
Old 03-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #98
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Quote:
Regarding the stutter...
-Were you able to check the fuel pressures?
-Does the main pump make any noises while it's running?
The old fuel pump sounded like a coffee grinder. The new pumps (tank and main) now hum along happily.
I've not checked fuel pressure yet - that was one of the first things on my list until it suddenly drove well. The intermittent issue (as I am now discovering) with the hesitation/stuttering will need some attention for sure.
I will be sidetracked from working on the car for a few weeks, ad I just closed on a home and will be doing some renovations before moving at the end of the month.

Until then, it is running well enough for me to get to and from work each day, and I think it will give me a chance to see the nature of the issue as I drive it more.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #99
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Congrats on the house!

Maybe there is still some varnish in the fuel system and clogging an orifice or something...hard to say at the moment. Intermittent issues are the worst for troubleshooting.

Regularly driving it is prob the best thing you can do right now, also running some more Techron through would be good also.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #100
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

Quote:
Congrats on the house!

Maybe there is still some varnish in the fuel system and clogging an orifice or something...hard to say at the moment. Intermittent issues are the worst for troubleshooting.

Regularly driving it is prob the best thing you can do right now, also running some more Techron through would be good also.
Thank you! I'm really excited about the house.

Carwise, I agree - intermittent stuff is a headache to chase down. I think you are probably right - varnish is probably gumming something up in the system. More Techron is going in today, and I'll keep driving it in hopes that things will free up.
If not, I'll have enough miles with it to really get a feel for the symptoms.

In reading the K-Jet documents (numerous times now), I've realized that I have incorrectly written "CIS" instead of "CI" for my car. I do not have the Constant Idle System (CIS) on my car.

Anyway, I'll be taking a break from working on the car for a few weeks while I focus on the house. Woohoo!