• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Moog vs. Lemforder vs. ?

districtmotors

Hi, everyone has been very helpful in helping me approach my steering/suspension project on my 1990 245. A couple of folks mentioned moog but I?ve heard Lemforder is good as well. The parts I am curious about are ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar link kits.

Moog are not the moog of years ago. Moog and TRW are the same thing these days. Go with lifetime warranty and get them replaced for free when they go bad!

For ball joints, TRW was OE. For a period of time, they were difficult to impossible to source (NLA?) Not sure if they still are NLA. I have not seen them with any of my suppliers. The Moog ball joints used to have TRW's in the box, but not anymore. I believe that the Lemforder's are the OE replacement parts from Volvo now. I have not confirmed this myself just yet. You can still get the TRW tie rod ends, but I believe the design has slightly changed. I suspect they are still good and I would not hesitate to use them. In summary, TRW is/was OE and is preferred, Lemforder should be just fine as well as they are OE on a lot of vehicles including newer Volvo's.

Lemforder frequently is still made in Europe. When I was looking for an inner tie rod for my 242's ZF rack, the options were TRW and Meyle (both made in China) or Lemforder, which was made in Germany at the time.

-J

Meh on Lemforder in my experience. Boots were cracking within a year, and the ball joints don't have the range of articulation that the Moog and TRW ones have.
I can't comment on the inner/outer tie rods, as I've stuck with Moog and TRW for those.

Lemforder is OEM for a lot of suspension stuff on the WWD cars so I'd trust their parts.

I don?t think that really means anything, considering there are companies who make parts for our rwd cars thatbare good, but another part on our rwd cars that sucks.

Kinda like people say elring headgaskets are good, but we all know their cam seals are ****.

Back