• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 960 transmission controller

Turbosundance

Does anyone know what exactly the trans mission controller and the ECU talk about and how they talk on the Volvo 960? Is it some form of Can Bus communication or is simpler? Looks like to many wires to be CAN system so I'm starting to winder if they are communicating with simple analogue signals that could be replicated with MS and some creativity.

Or, is there a different controller that could be used out of different car line to simplify transmission control when running MS on a 960? I don't want paddle shifters btw!

I know it can be done with a MS GPIO board but I'd rather get the job done with something from the junk yard while I work my manual transmission strategy.

Last edited:
End goal is '96 965 with with b6304 or T6 with a manual transmission behind it running MS and big turbo. I don't want a race car; I just want something quick to DD and maybe show off at the track once a year. If it could pull of a 13.9 in the quarter even better. Turbo will be big enough to not spool up until like 3500rpm so I don't plan on making any crazy low rpm torque.

I'm picking up the car next week and after I stage 0 it, I intend to do mods in stages. First I want to get MS3 going but I need to keep the AW30-43 working properly while I gather parts and information for T5, W58 or something manual swap. I could vary well need to cruise around with the auto for a year or more before going to a manual. Late model v6 mustang T5 seems like the most likely option at the moment.

I debated building a Toyota auto trans (A340 or something) for the car but I'm concerned about the sprag issue I keep reading about and the cost of upgraded parts.

I know I have seen a W58 bolted up behind a whiteblock since the toyota trans shares the same bellhousing pattern as the AW where it bolts to the whiteblock bellhousing.

A buddy of mine is working on drawing up a T5 adapter plate to bolt to the whiteblock bellhousing now, so we're liable to have those available in the not too distant future.

I know I have seen a W58 bolted up behind a whiteblock since the toyota trans shares the same bellhousing pattern as the AW where it bolts to the whiteblock bellhousing.

A buddy of mine is working on drawing up a T5 adapter plate to bolt to the whiteblock bellhousing now, so we're liable to have those available in the not too distant future.

You'd need an sc/supra adapter. The auto is different from the w58 iirc.

They make standalone trans controllers for jeep and toyota applications that use the same family trans

Back