• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Best valve cover gasket?

I have good luck with the paper type, you should be putting a dab of sealer where the gasket goes over the cam bearing caps. I've had no luck with the cork/rubber type gasket.

Paper valve cover gasket from wherever, plus a very thin smear of permatex ultra black on each surface (after it has been meticulously cleaned, and with the usual extra fat gobs of sealant in the elbows of the round humps near the front and rear seals)

edit: and by very thin smear I mean almost transparent thin, except in the spots mentioned above and in VB242's post

Last edited:
OE Volvo is the only way to go for the valve cover gasket. Most of the other gasket types will leak immediately, or, very soon after installing them, unless you glue every bit of both sides of the gasket. They are 2 to 3 times the price for OE, yet, worth it not to go back in to fix a leak.

Paper valve cover gasket from wherever, plus a very thin smear of permatex ultra black on each surface (after it has been meticulously cleaned, and with the usual extra fat gobs of sealant in the elbows of the round humps near the front and rear seals)

edit: and by very thin smear I mean almost transparent thin, except in the spots mentioned above and in VB242's post

That's what I been doing..with the paper gasket how do you loosen it up so it can flex without cracking?

sl3151.jpg

That's what I been doing..with the paper gasket how do you loosen it up so it can flex without cracking?

Soak the gasket in warm water if it's brittle. Pat it dry with paper towels before applying the silicone.

While the valve cover is off, reseal the front (and rear if it's a B230) cam cap(s) and apply fresh sealer. Your leak might be coming from there and not the gasket.

CamCapSealer.jpg

OE Volvo is the only way to go for the valve cover gasket. Most of the other gasket types will leak immediately, or, very soon after installing them, unless you glue every bit of both sides of the gasket. They are 2 to 3 times the price for OE, yet, worth it not to go back in to fix a leak.

This and only this.^^^^^^

OE Volvo with a liberal application of lithium grease allowed to soak in overnight. Not even a hint of a leak with this method.

Good gawd are OE valve cover gaskets nice. I use nothing... other than maybe a little pink B234 goop around/under the bearing caps if I've swapped a cam.

You gotta clean under the bearing caps if you've pulled them off for some reason, otherwise that thin layer of varnish doesn't line up and you get a leak.

I've use RTV with Victor Reinz and had leaks.....

-Ryan

I've been doing the above, with the exception of using NAPA gasket spray adhesive on both sides of the gasket instead of the permatex smear. It seems to also soak in a bit and make the gasket more pliable during installation. My sample size is 3 in the last 2 years. Volvo brand gasket, and Fel-Pro seem to offer the best surface area around the studs, but the worst $3 gasket, when prepped as described, has sealed up fine for me.

https://i.imgur.com/zJzG2RSl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MZNer84l.jpg

Last edited:
I used a FelPro on my Wife's valve cover when i
I swapped her cam. I used a four good dabs of anaerobic sealer at the seams of the cam caps, then sprayed the gasket liberally with white lithium grease and installed. No leaks and that car has been all over the State for work and trips. The big thing is surface prep.

Last edited:
Back