• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Loud valvetrain noise, but tight head.

Does anyone else have input on whether a camshaft profile could make this issue. I've had this noise since before "rebuild". I don't know if I can even swap in a cam since it's already running super thin shims. Though I haven't heard the exact measurements or measured them myself. So weird. I talked with M&B and Brian offered to put in new valves for free, and also said that the spring retainers were machined to keep the valve from being lower than the retainer....I'm still newish to valvetrain, so I said okay.
Guess I can go pull cam and shims now to see what the thinnest shim is to see if I can swap in say a B cam or something I can get my hands on.
Here's some more video from multiple locations. The moving back and forth is for "stereo isolating"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CqCDoQXIrNA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks towery and roadracer for the info. If the cam coming out is a worthy trial I will, otherwise, REV here we come. Does anyone know a username close to Gester144 or something similar, hear he might have some valves. But I'm looking for 40/48

If the noise was there before the rebuild, that changes things slightly, since it would for the most part rule out whatever was installed during the rebuild. If you had the cam on there before, on a stock head and it was noisy, that largely rules out the head, but would make the cam more suspect.

Got your pm on the valves, response coming in a few.

Cam looks fine though and I haven't heard anything about a cam causing this kind of issue. Need to find a source for drop in 40/48 valves available now

it would be nice to have some specs on the can other than stage 2-3 bull**** what does that mean? who started that? people trying to sell cams? hi-po cams are noisier than there soccer mom counterparts, due to faster acceleration rates and ramps that drop the valve faster.YOU need things like recommended hot lash clearance, what centerline is it ground on, lift at .50 thousand tappet rise and the lobe seperation angle.Then u will be able to shim it properly and degree it properly and then determine how loud it will be. The solid cam in old 327 calls for .23 intake and .30 clearance hot so it's kinda loud, now the hydraulic roller in the super sport is also kinds loud, which surprised me but that's the way it is. s.s.i. valves are junk i run milidon severe duty only, I've never droppef a valve and the big block uses a 2.3 diameter intake so it's a pretty heavy valve... even more so at 7 k

Head is in the shop getting some new valves. RSI never had any wristpin issues so hopefully this car will be sorted after this.

Fresh head with new Yoshifab valvetrain, new valves and a new ipd turbo cam...so disappointing. Johnathan said they never had any wristpin issues in any of their builds...if you're local and want to help me out, PM. My funds are draining and so is my love for this car.

https://youtu.be/DT-f-8l2hzI

Last edited:
Head sounds normal. Rod knock has a very distinct sound, and I can’t hear anything like it in the video. Maybe some piston slap..?
How warm was the engine?

Engine was at 89? C. As in bottom end expertise, capability to diagnose. Maybe a lift or someone willing to help throw in an evening of help. I just spent a bunch of money towards this and was really hoping to have a proper quiet engine after.

Back