• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Show me: OHC powered PV's, Amazons, and 140's

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Self explanatory.
Tell me what you're using for a transmission, mounts, oil pan/pump, etc.
Seriously considering putting my 13mm rod B230FT in my 1972 145 since nobody wants her.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9yHl24QynOM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

142%20Se88e_K%20%2010_zpso4k8s5pu.jpg

And I have some very hazy plans to put my 16V B230 into my PV.

I wish I had pictures but alas I don't. Back in the 90s when Volvo used to host the Rockleigh event. There was an executive there that had a PV with a 16v in it. Beautiful restoration on it with a B234F powering the fun. Seems like an wonderful combo. A 16v with a good exhaust on it probably sounds awesome.

If you mount it slanted you can use an unmodified oil pan and pump and whatever transmission you want. Upright would require a little more fab work but lend you more exhaust side clearance. Having done it, I can confidently say I would’ve done it in my 142 if I had that car when I started it all. That engine bay would be a bit kinder.

If you mount it upright, you can use the b20/m40 bellhousing and use your stock transmission, if that appeals to you. Clearance will be really tight on the intake manifold side, and you'll pretty much have to build a manifold.

If you slant mount it, you can get away with a B230 intake manifold, but the turbo (even a small td04) will run into the inner fender if you use the stock exhaust manifold. I've seen that done, and the guy just notched the fender to clear. It can be done well, but you won't have room for a bigger turbo when you decide to make some more power.

Either way you mount it, clearance from the water pump to the radiator is pretty tight, once you put a fan there. Other than those points, it all fits pretty well. A surprising number of people think mine is stock.

Amazon W. B230

I mounted my B230F slanted and it fits pretty well. It is actually over only about 10 degrees due to clearance issues.
The engine mounts are cut down 700 series mounts with wedge spacers. this is backed up with a WC t-5 trans.
After driving with an NA motor for a couple of years I picked up a turbo engine and installed that. The only real clearance issue was with the turbo. I made a 90 degree "Up Pipe" which gave the clearance needed.
The inter-cooler is mounted below/behind the bumper and the plumbing is routed through the inner fender walls into the wheel wells.
In the Amazon it is a pretty tight fit, one sacrifice I made in order to install A/C was to use a tiny Denso alternator. The alternator didn't have enough oomph to deal with 2 cooling fans and the A/C, so I had to resort to a belt driven fan (Derale 13") which has been working well.
There's lots to do to make the swap, but going from an 1800cc carbed OHV to a 2.3L Turbo OHC is really worth it.

picture.php

With the NA and the Turbo

picture.php

Cut down mounts from a 700 series

picture.php

90 Degree "Up Pipe"

There's also Aardvark122tic, who built a '65 122S wagon with the drivetrain from an '87 740T, complete with the Aw71.

Think the build thread is somewhere here in the projects & restorations forum.

-J

Back