• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

School me on the 780 Bertone

944GLE

I found a fairly nice 89 bertone in my area that I'm looking into purchasing. Its got a 196k on the clock with the B230FT engine. It looks like the rear is sagging alittle due to the Nivomats being old. The guy is asking $1500 which seems like a good deal to me. What do I need to know about this car? I'm planning on this being my daily driver. It will be traveling back and fourth to DC about 5 times a year.

Well mechanically it's like any other 89 740 turbo 2.2 b230ft and aw 71. It should have the turbo plus kit. Down sides are it's heavy (means they get lowish mpg and aren't that quick) and body and some interior parts are a pain to find, windshields cannot be purchased new as far as I know. Is there something wrong with your 940?

its Gold with Navy Blue and Black leather, its got the Multi-X wheels. I'm alittle nervous about purchasing it because it looks like its been sitting for a while. I can not get in contact with the seller, its been forsale for about a year

Going to test drive it tomorrow! I'm pretty excited since its a turbo and its my 20th Bday!

A 780 for that price will likely need some work, so i wouldn't expect a DD right off the bat. Bring it home, fix the oil leaks (from the oil cooler relocator and maybe front shaft seals), change all the fluids, replace vacuum lines, do a tune-up and enjoy!

A 780 for that price will likely need some work, so i wouldn't expect a DD right off the bat. Bring it home, fix the oil leaks (from the oil cooler relocator and maybe front shaft seals), change all the fluids, replace vacuum lines, do a tune-up and enjoy!

this.

Also, manual tranmission and ECU chips make them hella fun.

Test drive went very well! Turbo builds boost nicely and tranny shifts good. Its been sitting for about a year so it needs some work, dash is cracked and its missing a side marker lense. The good thing is every single button,switch and light works in and out the car. Going in tomorrow to do alittle bargaining, wish me luck!
14092_1302013625614_1088640241_3068.jpg

But I know that car you're talking about. I think it sold. This one is down on the shoreline

There was one for sale in Collinsville that matches that car exactly. If it is that one, take a good look underneath. It's gonna need exhaust. Most of the bushings are shot, I'm betting it needs shocks and struts too. There are a couple trim pieces missing that are 780 specific and may be expensive and/or hard to come by. Plus If I remember correctly one of the headlights has a hole or some other damage. I looked at it last fall and decided it wasn't worth the asking price. It's been for sale for well over a year there.

Beat that price down considerably and it'll be worth it. Make a nice summer project for ya.

After owning my 780 for about 3 years or so, I can say that the only problems I have face is sagging headliner, turbo + acting up, changing sending unit is a real PITA, electric issues, finding interior pieces is hard and expensive, and killing dynos. I have enjoyed the car and I will miss it when I get it sold.

Have fun with it and enjoy it,
Adam

Back