• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Death of a street car - Time Attack/ITE 1983 Volvo 244 TIC [updated...recent]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat244ti

UPDATED 12.22
First, here's a little timeline on the car

January 2003- picked up the car for $1200 from NoSloVo, 270k, bone stock, daily driver
39970856.jpg

45286832.jpg

March 2003- master cylinder failure leads to a 20 mph collision with fellow tbricker Noah244ti after a nice run in the mountains

May 2003- after the accident, 2 new doors are sourced and I send the car off to get painted

July 2003- I threw the car on jackstands for a month, and performed the first couple of modifications. Installed iPD braided steel brake lines, iPD 25mm sways, Bilstein HD shocks/struts, iPD lowering springs. Performed some much need maitenence items [replaced stock filter with K&N, plugwires with Magnecors], swapped the GT front end+7'' Rounds on and painted the virgos anthracite.
43681121.jpg

September 2003- Decided since the car was having cooling problems, I would not be taking it with me to Arizona. I take my 1997 Dodge Dakota instead.

February 2004- Decided I missed the car so much I had to bring it out to Arizona. Drove to CA with a new radiator, electric fan as well as a fresh turbo and swapped them on. While I was in CA for the weekend, I had an exhaust shop build a 3'' exhaust. Also installed a MBC.
large.jpg

April 2003- Swapped to a B230F intake manifold, installed a TurboXS RFL BOV and did the T11 mod. I fixed a few fuel delivery issues [fuel pumps], and set the boost to 14 psi.
large.jpg

June 2004- Dyno'ed the car. With Arizona temps, I had to lower boost to 9 psi for the summer heat, but I threw 100 octane in and set it to 11 psi. By this time the B21FT had about 325k on it.
491451_63_full.jpg

August 2004- Recieved my Eiker Polaris replicas from the group buy. Also scored some European headlights, euro plate and euro TS's. I finally got my steering wheel adaptor for a OMP steering wheel I had had for a long time and installed that.
large.jpg

large.jpg

October 2004- Installed iPD Turbo Cam and adjustable gear. Thought I would be cool, so I tossed 100 octane in it, set boost to about 18-20 psi on the 60/63 T3 I was running. I paid the price and I blew the headgasket.

November 2004- Since the B21FT had more than just the HG [worn out rings], I sourced a 1995 B230FT from a 940 that had been rear ended. 90k and full maitence records.

February 2005- Finally yanked the B21FT out and put the B230FT in.
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

June 2005- I finally get around to actually trying to get the car running. I spent a couple days on it, but I end up running out of time and have to leave it in Arizona since I had to move back to California.
244_2293.JPG

sIMG_2600.JPG

So fast forward a few months. I had the car shipped from Arizona back to California, and I slowly got it running again. Here was the old setup

ENGINE
1995 B230FT
15G Turbo
3'' SAM Exhaust
BMC CDA Airbox
NPR Intercooler
TiAL BOV
iPD Turbo Cam
iPD Adjustable Cam Gear
Megasquirt w/stock Kjet Ignition
Dodge 4bar FPR
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
MSD Coil
Magnecor Plugwires
AEM WB02
Greddy Profec B Spec II

SUSPENSION
Bilstein HD's
iPD Sways
iPD Springs
Adjustable Panhard Rod
GT Braces [upper and lower]
Homemade Strut Brace
Solid Swaybar Endlinks
Superpro Poly Bushings
Eiker 17X7.5 "Polaris" Replicas
Goodyear Eagle F1 G2-D3 tires, 215/45/17ZR

BRAKES
Zimmerman Crossdrilled Rotors
Axxis Metal Master Pads
iPD Braided Steel Lines

EXTERIOR
Flathood Conversion
GT Grille+Fogs
European Square-style headlights
European Plate
European Turnsignal lenses
Volvo OEM Cowl Cover/"Snow Scoop"
Low profile side-trim
DVS Group A Spoiler

INTERIOR
Sparco Pro2000 Seats
Sparco Harnesses
OMP WRC Steering Wheel
Autometer Phantom Boost/AF/Oil Pressure/Water Temp/Volt gauges
HKS Turbo Timer
B&M T-Handle Shifter

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with it. At 14 psi it ripped pretty nice once we got it tuned with the WB. But over the course of time, the cars wiring on many ends [Megasquirt, headlights, gauges] started to fail on me. It was an absolute rats nest which made it hard to fix. Also, the new clutch I had installed was giving up the ghost. Having over the many months leading up to and during the summer of 06' I had collected many parts I planned on installing on the car, including everything to swap in a T5, a Proturbo header, and other misc goodies.

At this point, with all these parts, the car having not been registered since June 05' [smog reasons], I decided it was time to make this thing into more than the street rod I had planned for it. I decided to make it my track bitch, on top of planning to run Time Attack events in Southern California. Once I build up a new engine for the car [probably after SE6, summer 07'] my plan is to get a racing license and run the car in SCCA ITE.

I began by removing the entire interior from the car [including the sunroof], removing all wiring/gauges/ems/etc, and removing all of the sound deadening tar paper. This was in preparation for seamwelding, a full IT legal rollcage as well as rewiring the car from scratch using a Painless kit.

Which brings me to now......I've got almost everything ready to go to start putting the car back together. I'm just waiting on a check from Progressive Insurance for my 98' R so I can send this car out to my homeslice John @ Evil Genius Racing for a rollcage and some other goodies. I'll keep updating the thread as more work by John and myself is completed.

Last edited:
when you get it running, please post how you feel about the Tial BOV, I'm stuck between HKS (I have a pipe w/flange....), Blitz, SARD, and Tial, I thought about Vortech but that thing is huge.

Chigga 744SE said:
when you get it running, please post how you feel about the Tial BOV, I'm stuck between HKS (I have a pipe w/flange....), Blitz, SARD, and Tial, I thought about Vortech but that thing is huge.

Sure, I do know for one you will have to swap to a different [9 psi] spring with the TiAL.

Update- I've got her all back together and so close to running. It'll be running the next time I goto Arizona!

I also installed the GT seats while I was down trying to get the car running.
king power/ground and the connector on the MS and nothing turned up. Unfortunatly, by that time me and Justin had to leave [he had to be at work tommarrow] and I had to leave the 240 behind.
Img_2220.jpg

Img_2226.jpg

Img_2241.jpg

NPR Intercooler and custom hack-job to part of the panel the headlights mount to
Img_2221.jpg

Img_2224.jpg

New location for oil cooler
Img_2228.jpg

BMC CDA Airbox
Img_2238.jpg

GT Seats and black door panels
Img_2235.jpg

Img_2233.jpg

The interior is all together again, except wires flopping around everywhere [when I was chasing my MS problem, I didnt bother putting it back together]
Img_2231.jpg

Chillin in Mike's driveway
Img_2245.jpg

A little update- I'm hoping that within the next week or two I will be able to have the car back home with me and running.

Kenny got my MS and it turns out the main chip went south. I sent him a replacement and hopefully next week Mike will be able to plug it into my car and get it running. If he gets it running, I'm hopping a plane to AZ to stay there for a few days, tune/break in the engine, and drive it back.

If Mike has to spend any more than an hour or two trying to get it running, I'm going to have the car shipped here.

Fantastic news Pat! Well, er...sorta. Glad that it was the chip in the MS that was bad, and not something in the wiring or elsewhere. That was the pisser of the whole trip down there for me. It felt like a bad episode of Monster Garage, you know? Down to the wire, got the last bits done, everything's in, checked and double checked. Go to fire it up, and...nothing. Clock strikes 12, nobody got a toolbox, no CD's, just heads hung in shame. :-(

Damn I can't wait until your car is within reasonable driving distance again. Everyone's going FWD/AWD, we need more 240T's up here! :lol:

-Justin

hey... howd you work out the wire harness?

how did you do it?

i'm noob, so if you could walk me through it, that would be so awesome

Wow. Super-clean volvo.

And, as usual for you guys there in the States, there no rust anywhere to be seen. All the volvos i've ever had have been sick with the rust-bug. (oh, the joy of winters and salt) Even the undersides of your doors look like brand new.

Very cool car. Indeed.

Alright, a few updates.

I've now got Mopar Super 60 +40% Injectors on the car [52 lbs/hr] and a Greddy Probec-B Spec 2 in the mail.

I'll have some video up in a week or two.

So I constantly forget to update this thread.

So here's the dillio on the car right now. It does'nt have any wiring in it, no glass either. No dash. No nothing really, just the seats, engine, trans, steering wheel/column.

I've got a goal set to get it back on the road before November 11th when I am hosting a meet. Here are the measures I am taking

-Rewiring the car using a Painless 18 Circuit trunk mounted universal wiring harness kit [not in the trunk though, behind the passenger seat - I've heard the standard kit's wires are not long enough to do so]
-Mounting an Odyssey battery behind the passenger seat as well
-Custom CF dash layout with Autometer Phantom 160mph speedometer, 10k rpm tach, fuel level gauge as well as my other current gauges
-Moroso Rocker Switch Panel with pushbutton start, mounted in the lower dash pocket/CD player location [should fit pefect]
71074180.jpg

-T5 transmission swap, with V-Performance 9lb flywheel, Clutchnet 100% over stock PP with carbon disc, Hurst Billet Plus short throw shifter
-Adding spark to my megasquirt
-Other small, misc things

All this is on top of the recent diet I have been giving the car.

-Shedding the tar paper volvo put all over the car
-Converting to manual windows
-Removing doorlock solenoids
-Replacing sunroof assembly with a piece of sheetmetal
-Replacing heater core assembly with a custom lighter assembly made of a trans cooler, accessory fan and a custom box w/ducting [I would just ditch it, but I've used the heater to help cool the car down if it runs a little hot]
-Ditching the GT Grille+Fogs for just a regular DL flathood grille
-A bunch of other small misc. things

Here's some pictures from today

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

No glass on the doors currently, gives me an oppurtunity to find a window scraper solution [the rubber on mine was brittle and hard] and clean the overspray off the glass [from when I had the car repainted 3+ years ago] while I wait for my manual regulators
IMG_3542.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back