• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Beachcomber's 940 - Supercharged

Very nice. Which confuses me as to why using efi and the bigger supercharger with an adapter made by one of your friends for a few hundred pounds seems like it's not worth it?

A kjet manifold may suit your build better Though.

VQ,

You need the rest of the story to ease confusion !:) I am now retired on a very small pension and "lost" most of the money I made [ 3 divorces didn't help ] !!

No longer the 7,000 sq. ft workshops and staff of 12. No longer the facilities and most of my contemporaries are no longer with us on this earth, AND at 3 score and 13 - time is NOT on my side [ sorry Mick ].

So, all my work is done on the proverbial shoestring, and I can't even get my car in the garage. Violin time ....................................;-)

But I do still have some fantastic memories that cost nothing.

Back in my day - there would have been a Chevy or Ford big block sitting in the engine bay - probably with a blower.

Sun was shining today - so no excuse not to get out there and finalise the fitment of the 16" Jag wheels.

Essentially a 35mm spacer will get the job done on the front with 225 section tyres. At the moment the tyre section is stock Jag - ideally I'd like to go with 40 section - but these tyres are practically brand new !

At the back a 30mm spacer clears everything inside and is well under the wheel arch. So, probably a 40mm spacer with 245 / 265 section tyres - when I can afford them.

Just a bit of housekeeping - the OEM Volvo studs will need a shave off the top to keep them inside the spacer - maybe a mm. There will only be 1 x 5 mm spacer on the front before the 20mm spacer to allow full seating of the wheel nuts. I can juggle the remaining 5mm and 10mm spacers to get the wheel exactly where I want it.

Oh yes - new grooved discs being fitted and I'll clean up / paint the calipers at the same time + new pads ;-)

That opens up lots of possibilities for late Jag wheels [ 5 on 108 ] and most of the styles are cheap and available in a wide variety of diameters and widths. :cool:

These are 7.5" x 16" with an ET of 60.

Now then, just have to retrieve my 4 Jag wheels and tyres which I loaned to a pal to roll my old Standard Vanguard around on !

If it were me, I'd order the correct sized adapters so that I could have full thread engagement on the studs... The spacers behind your adapter is barely giving you enough stud to grab, seems very sketchy. How many threads are in a lug nut, six? I can count three above the stud not being used. Is saving $240 worth the risk?

If it were me, I'd order the correct sized adapters so that I could have full thread engagement on the studs... The spacers behind your adapter is barely giving you enough stud to grab, seems very sketchy. How many threads are in a lug nut, six? I can count three above the stud not being used. Is saving $240 worth the risk?

As stated - with the 5 mm shim before the 20mm spacer I have a full thread AND still below the face - with a 1mm skim off the top of the OEM stud. Then the 10mm spacer after the 20mm spacer again gives me a full thread as the studs in the spacer are 10mm longer than the OEM studs.

The picture shown is to give me the total thickness I need - NOT intended as the final set up.

Additionally I have some 50mm thick billets of aircraft grade alloy and relevant wheel studs. A local machine shop will then machine up spacers the correct size.

Commercially available spacers in the UK are at least twice what you pay in the US!

As stated - with the 5 mm shim before the 20mm spacer I have a full thread AND still below the face - with a 1mm skim off the top of the OEM stud. Then the 10mm spacer after the 20mm spacer again gives me a full thread as the studs in the spacer are 10mm longer than the OEM studs.

The picture shown is to give me the total thickness I need - NOT intended as the final set up.

Additionally I have some 50mm thick billets of aircraft grade alloy and relevant wheel studs. A local machine shop will then machine up spacers the correct size.

Commercially available spacers in the UK are at least twice what you pay in the US!

I would be happy to be the middle man in getting you good adapters, let me know.

I would be happy to be the middle man in getting you good adapters, let me know.

Thanx for that, really appreciate your offer ...... last year I bought a set for my 1955 Standard Vanguard Estate Hot Rod project from a US company called "Adaptit". Really nice friendly, helpful peeps.

Excellent price and quality - however, the killer was the freight to the UK. Almost the same cost as the adaptors ! Add to that the customs duty and UK tax [ VAT @ 20% ] ............

Still cheaper than buying from a UK source - just.

I have now secured some 50mm billets [ rather too big than too small ! ] for silly cheap money to be machined down to the final sizing I require - also some suitable wheel studs. I had a guy who was prepared to make them as part of his College engineering class [ under supervision ], but that fell out of bed as the 3rd year of his course didn't include practical ! Damn .......... He was also going to get various bits of machining and fab done for the blower project . Machining apart my total investment in parts for 4 spacers is only ?35.

Again, my thanx for taking an interest and your offer :cool:

Hey Mad Dog - whereabouts in Lower Saxony ? My house is in Reichenau - 40 clicks north of Dresden. I only visit 3-4 times a year - but I do have an 850 T5 there for my use.

Ha, nice.. i was wondering if thats just a joke ore you are really related to that location ;)

I Live 20km south of Hamburg.. Lower Saxony stands for Niedersachshen.. or maybe Nethersaxony is more correct? I dunno :D sounds to much like Antje, Kluntschen and Tulips for me ;)

I just wanted to make shure that you use 3 Adapters only for mockup and maths.. if you know what you need, please get your self adequate adapters like from http://schippan-shop.de/EXEC/2/6C5CC2048D70CF9A6AE7E440

I know.. the shop looks creepy.. but it is an old grampa using his skills to fab adapters for a good price..

MD - No - I really DO have a house in Saxony !

I thank you for your continued interest and concern about my safety !!!

Yes. my posting was a bit unclear. The pictures show the MOCK UP to get the exact size of spacer required. yes, I could rely on measurements . but at 73 years old, I no longer trust my eyes !

I have had spacers / adaptors made locally when I had my own business [ manufacturing replica sports cars ], but the guy has been retired for 10 years now !

I have another guy who will make the spacers for me - a small local machine shop who makes parts for my motorcycle projects.

Again, I thank you for the link to the professionals - but I now rely on a very limited budget for my projects and have to get parts made as cheaply as possible - in England we call this "mate's rates".

I bought the "house" 14 years ago, but I am having to sell now because of costs for local charges for abwasser kanal to be installed [ 60,000 euros !!!! ] in the road and connected to the house. Since the house was built in 1880 - a sewage pit has worked extremely well !

Every year I host a Pig Roast for my German friends and the villagers of Reichenau - 10 years in total.

I know the old saying "no pix - doesn't exist" ....... here's a few of my house in Reichenau.

Ha ... the "puppy" belongs to my pal Guenter [ checked shirt ] Ufo ...... I more or less adopted him when I used to go to the house.

MY Dobe was a Brown and Tan Bitch "Arwen" .......................... both sadly now no longer with us................ RIP [Arwen - old age, Ufo heart condition ]

whoa.. nette bude ! :)

Seems to be a Bauernhaus from the Hochbetuchten Landwirte von damals hm? :) Bauernadel.

cool cool !

How does it come that a "tommy" buys a house in germany? or better... poland? :D

@ swedishiron.. search for Bogatynia.. i think it is :)

I cannot find Reichenau on any map - what other cities are nearby?

30kms N.N.W. from Dresden.

Between the towns of Konigsbruck and Pulsnitz.

Harland - no a lively 73 year old playing American Football [ Centre ] until 55. Now a sedate Kendo and Mugai Ryu student.

MD - It was the village Bar, restaurant, function hall, and butchery / deli.Built in 1880.

L..O..N..G story re buying. I was doing development consultancy work in nearby Heyda for a German pal making replica Cobras, Porsche and Mercedes and really fell in love with the region. Nobody in Saxony wanted the house - so I bought it in Government auction for the price of a cheap car !!

12 very happy years there with many good German friends and memories.

Back