• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is my starter toast?

durk80

I let my friend borrow my 91 240. He said that after he started the car 2 minutes later, it sounded like something industrial, like someone blowing leaves after he started it. He said that it gradually went away after 3 or 4 minutes. He wasn't sure if it was someone doing landscaping, or something else (can't hear that well).

After shutting the car off at the store, and then attempting to start it, the lights on the instrument cluster came on, cd player worked. The battery had 12.75 volts on the off position. The fuel relay was clicking and I could hear the fuel pumps engaging. All fuses were good as well.

There was no sound whatsoever of starter engagement when turning the key. It was as if one was attempting to start the car with the battery disconnected.

Eventually, we got it started by pushing it and popping the clutch; it ran fine.

Do I need a new starter, or is it something else like an ignition switch?

I'm thinking that I do, but I would like to verify that it is the starter in order to keep the costs down.

Thanks for all of your help with this debacle in advance!

Last edited:
Jump 12v direct to the thin wire terminal at the starter and see what happens. Borrow tge voltage from the large wire atvstarter.

Jump 12v direct to the thin wire terminal at the starter and see what happens. Borrow tge voltage from the large wire atvstarter.

Thank you for the help, ZVOLV. I jumped the smaller wire on the starter (yellow with blue stripe) to the larger red wire, and besides from a little spark when attached, nothing happened.

Am I surmising correctly that a new starter is in order?

The one that is currently on there is a bosch rebuilt unit.

I would carefully inspect all battery cables and connections. Your starter should have engaged with that little jumper wire test. Likely a bad starter but confirm 12v at the starter positive and confirm 12+ volts at the battery.

The test you performed bypassed the ignition switch, wiring to the starter and also the neutral safety switch, if appplicable.

I also recommend a voltage drop test of the wires.

...Likely a bad starter...

It was indeed and thank you for the invaluable test. The gear on the starter which turns the flywheel was blued and seized on the shaft. There was also an indentation in the middle of the gear on each of its teeth. It's all good now though, as it starts. Thank you!

Back