• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 92 245 spark fuel compression timed no start still

So recently purchased a 1992 volvo 245 B230f auto And up until today it started right up. until this morning i am unsure why as it drove just fine any other time weather is nice and this cars driven through snow rain and sleet without any issues.
So far ive checked

Timing--Dead on

Fuel both pumps are whirling and even did a quick look see at the injectors all sprayed just fine
And plugs are definitely wet with fuel

Spark is going from the coil to the dizzy to the plug wires and to the plugs just fine (and in times through me:-P )

And did a compression test
cyl1-130
cyl2-130
cyl3-130
cyl4-135

Not getting a check engine light ive tested and i get 1-1-1 for both

Tried plugging and unplugging the MAF and there is no change there

Acts like it wants to start but just dose not and like i said it started fine and drove just fine the other day. been working on it since 7am this morning and i just cant figure it out if anyone could give me a clue or if you need more information let me know
Thanks

Well took a shot in the dark swapped the plugs from my 242 into it just on a thought as they definitely looked old but the one i checked worked good. but swapped them and had some issues still starting my guess is all the fuel in the cyl. but after i had it running awhile i plugged the mass air flow back in and idled fine again but im going to wait some time and let it cool back down and see what happens.

And did a compression test
cyl1-130
cyl2-130
cyl3-130
cyl4-135

Not getting a check engine light ive tested and i get 1-1-1 for both

Tried plugging and unplugging the MAF and there is no change there

Thanks

Well there's your problem, if the AMM unplugged doesn't change anything (it shoud) then it's broken. If the AMM is bad the ECU will run in limp home mode, which mostly means it runs pig rich or no-start, especially if it's been run that way for long time, just continues to flood the cyl.
Also those compression numbers are very low for a B230F. How did you do the test?

Well there's your problem, if the AMM unplugged doesn't change anything (it shoud) then it's broken. If the AMM is bad the ECU will run in limp home mode, which mostly means it runs pig rich or no-start, especially if it's been run that way for long time, just continues to flood the cyl.
Also those compression numbers are very low for a B230F. How did you do the test?

Well it didnt change anything besides it not wanting to start (too much fuel for what im guessing were bad plugs) and upon switching the plugs and it firing up (didnt have the AMM plugged in) forgot all about it was wondering why it ran ****ty plugged it in and runs fine again. so Was definitely bad plugs.

And compression wise i removed the plugs and used a compression tester. I figured they would be lowish since the car has 207k on it and seeing as the p.o. did not maintain it until he was about to sell it. (air filter looks rough pieces missing; plugs where bad; oil is definitely going to need a change etc etc) so im sure its led a rough life i also find it funny that the timing belt probably was not changed until it went as there are no other markings besides a 153k timing belt but yea its definitely going to get taken care since as of now its in my care. and more than likely ill be swapping the motor out as my gf wants a turbo aka wants the car faster....

If it were running and no change, correct.
It wont start though so AMM unplug test doesnt mean anything.

How are you testing spark? Spart tester or just looking for a spark? May have weak spark.
Fuel pressure? Any starting fluid to give a boost?

im having this same issue on a 93, the car ran a month ago but the main bearings were toast since the previous owner ran it with no oil after performing an oil change and forgetting to add oil. I switched the block/head with one from a 1990 740 non turbo and now just like OP i got spark, fuel, timing is dead on, everything is plugged correctly, good compression, new batter and started. car seems like it wants to start but dosnt and i these some popping from the exhaust :wtf:

Back