• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rob Prince's 242 Resurrection

The noise goes away when I pull the #2 spark plug wire...this does not please me at all :(

Made another video underhood, lots of noise as usual, but you can hear the bad noise OK.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/Volvokiller/DriftCar/engine/vid4.flv">

I have, worn drive shaft bearing... but this doesn't quite sound right...
Get under the car, check exhaust, and shake stuff under the car?
That's where I'd start, and hope that I found it there.

he has no driveshaft bearing,

sorry man! that video makes it sound bad... i feel sorry for ya having to tear it down so many times after droping so much cash into this thing!

Pulled the pan today and found nothing out of the ordinary with respect to #2. I did find the oil pump transfer tube o-ring popping out, which was causing my lower than expected oil pressure.
Pulled the rod cap for #2 and did not see anything abnormal. Checked the wristpin as best I could, did not seem like there was an abnormal amount of play. Put it back together with new o-rings and started it back up, and the noise is still there! D'oh! I do have nice oil pressure again though.

sealoops.jpg

I missed the post about the low oil pressure. When did that raise it's ugly head?

When I first started the new engine, it was lower than expected, but not dangerously low. Since George had said he set the bearings up "loose" I figured that was the reason for the lower oil pressure. But apparently that's not the case! :roll:

sounds like the thing sadly needs to come out and have all clearances checked...could be some piston rock..could be a bearing clearance..hard to know without checking everything out.

Rob is it possible to use a Borescope and look down in the cylinder walls for uneven wear like the piston moving side to side?

Or remove the cover for the OLD fuel pump and see if U can see anything in there?

Like this DUDE.

PT6A%20Borescope%20Inspection.jpg

first off, I effing LOVE this thread. second off, your 242 started out exactly how I want mine to end up. Any chance you have the webers, along with whatever intake manifolds that were used to make them fit a redblock, and want to sell them for stupid cheap?

first off, I effing LOVE this thread. second off, your 242 started out exactly how I want mine to end up. Any chance you have the webers, along with whatever intake manifolds that were used to make them fit a redblock, and want to sell them for stupid cheap?
dems long gone.

they are long gone.

Back