• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 Slipping Transmission

It should be generating a check engine light if the PNP has a problem. A proper code reader will take you right to the problem on an OBD2 car.

No it won't. The first OBD2 cars didn't have a ton of info on the bus. A volvo specific reader is required and I'm not talking about Vida.

Following up to my case. I have a known good PNP switch. Tried it on the trans, did not change anything. On 91-95 960s, the OBD1 system does generate a code and flashing arrow should the PNP switch be failing. But I've heard cases where PNP switch failure isn't accompanied with a flashing arrow.

I think the trans is toast on mine. Going to replace the transmission tomorrow.

You might think about buying a new starter and putting that on while you're in there. It's a royal pain to get to when everything is in the car. Putting a new starter in means you may not have to do that job anytime soon.

No it won't. The first OBD2 cars didn't have a ton of info on the bus. A volvo specific reader is required and I'm not talking about Vida.

My Snap On Brick takes me directly to the problem on all the OBD2 960/S/V90s and 850s I've used it on. It just won't read or reset the SRS codes.

There was a flashing arrow light for a ong time and the LED indicated a 2-3 solonoid issue. The LED stopped flashing and the car drove better for a short bit and then it lost almost all drive.

There was a flashing arrow light for a ong time and the LED indicated a 2-3 solonoid issue. The LED stopped flashing and the car drove better for a short bit and then it lost almost all drive.

IIRC, all 3 960/S/V90s that I described above had the flashing light when the PNP was the issue. That carried over to OBD2.

Wait, is failure to start a possible PNP issue? Cuz mine's not starting right now......

I was driving it to work and it went into solid limp mode. Wouldn't rev past 2000 rpm and just had no power, but purred like a kitten at idle. I pulled over, shut it down and tried to restart and nothing. Hasn't even tried to start.

I need to get it running, but it's my daughter's car and she's not interested in getting her license so It has been sitting for about a month now.

Mine's a 96. Torque Pro shows nada.

Back