• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V NA Intake (LH2.4 Compatible NO ITBs)

Sir Bricks-A-Lot

Hi,
I've been slowly modifying my B234F into something a bit more sporty. Last month I took a big step and did the following :
-Kyrk Motorsport KY108H 308? at 0.1mm 247? at 1mm 10.8mm lift
-F38 Valve Springs
-Adjustable Cam gears
-.040in planed from head
-.036in Cometic gasket
-Ported intake side of head
-Steg 3 Header 44,5-54-63mm

I also ported the stock intake manifold, and it has a 960TB but I know the runners and plenum are still far smaller than they should be to take advantage of the new breathing capabilities of my top end.

I've been doing searches, but the majority either say "WhY U nO TaRbO?!?" or 48-50mm ITB/Weber and I prefer to stay single TB for driveability and to keep LH.

I don't have access to a tig welder, so I'm leaning more towards purchasing something bolt in.

Has anyone tried this? https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-16v-plenum-_-insug-ej-borrat-for-spjallhus.html

I'd be willing to spend ~$600USD for a proven setup

TL; DR Modified NA 16V The car is staying LH2.4, it's chipped right now, and
My Question is what intake manifolds are out there that are worth using on an NA car?

as far as a near bolt in setup goes, that's likely to be as good as it gets. it appears to be a decent design

The early kL intakes were a little rough, but a few minutes with a sanding roll will clean them up nicely. Larger runners than stock by a good margin, and plenty of wall thickness to port them out if needed.
Also note, will need to use their throttle body, or drill the plate for your own.

Or go all out and do ITBs with a MAF and a custom plenum/airbox.

This is a turbo plenum one. The runners a waaaaaaay to short.
Why shouldn't LH2.4 handle ITB's with a plenum and hot wire?
If you are willing to spend real money do find a good rapid prototyping company, done.

I would build my own, no 16V, I won't for this reason.
Good luck, Kay

This is a turbo plenum one. The runners a waaaaaaay to short.
Why shouldn't LH2.4 handle ITB's with a plenum and hot wire?
If you are willing to spend real money do find a good rapid prototyping company, done.

I would build my own, no 16V, I won't for this reason.
Good luck, Kay

eh. the ports in the head in combination with the intake manifold, not too short. It's NA, you're going to (generally) want to shift the powerband up anyway, which is where shorter runners tend to do better.

eh. the ports in the head in combination with the intake manifold, not too short. It's NA, you're going to (generally) want to shift the powerband up anyway, which is where shorter runners tend to do better.

Exactly. The runners are way too long for NA performance. 100-150mm from the valve is generally where you want to be.

You could cut the KL runners in half and it would be an improvement. You wouldn't be getting the 1st/2nd/3rd harmonic, but you would be getting constructive waves over a larger RPM range.

Thanks for the feedback, I've since found out that the KL racing intake wouldn't clear the alternator position on the B234f, and I'm sure that'll be the case with most bolt on/adapted side feed manifolds. So I might have to look into moving the alternator to a different position to open up my options.

Thanks for the feedback, I've since found out that the KL racing intake wouldn't clear the alternator position on the B234f, and I'm sure that'll be the case with most bolt on/adapted side feed manifolds. So I might have to look into moving the alternator to a different position to open up my options.

Welding shops can be very cheap to modify any plenum (way less than $600).

I know you may not want to hear it, but itb would not have that issue. And if you get the sort that has a plenum, I'd happily 3D print you a custom plenum (plastic N/A plenums are okay) for free, but you pay postage.

I'm so willing to help with itbs, because I've considered this for a long time with my stock 16v, and now my aq171. It's really is the eventual option. It doesn't kill drivability, and can keep lh (sounds awesome too).

Why not get a welder ? Check with Eastwood. I got a plasma torch and a tig for under $1000. Don't know how to weld? Maybe local college has a night course.

Why is your alternator is some wierd position on same side as intake_
get that thing out of the way down low on exhaust side..

And why is LH2.4 not compatible? Not compatible with what?

Face it, the little skinny, narrow runner ID is a major bottleneck to the fun a En Ey motor can give you.

Why is your alternator is some wierd position on same side as intake_
get that thing out of the way down low on exhaust side..

And why is LH2.4 not compatible? Not compatible with what?

Face it, the little skinny, narrow runner ID is a major bottleneck to the fun a En Ey motor can give you.

because on a b234f (read) that space is normally occupied by a balance shaft.

if OP is considering ditching the a/c, OP could then relocate the alternator down. Most folks around here use the 8v block which allows for a bit more flexibility in accessory placement.

:lol: I'll give you that it's fairly rare around these parts haha

Do you think the Oh Pea got the hint???

...People give away B230 blocks and it solves so many problems like that (snap!)

Still wonder where some of the truly bizarre opinions are born and fostered.
What does ITBs versus plenum and single throttle body have to do with "driveability"?

Still wonder where some of the truly bizarre opinions are born and fostered.
What does ITBs versus plenum and single throttle body have to do with "driveability"?

it's on the internet, it must be true. someone said it somewhere some time.

purely for discussionary purposes:

I could see a poorly sealed plenum for itb's being difficult to tune for the stock system (if not impossible, practically speaking).

itb's vs a large plenum and decent sized throttle body, both sealed up well.. I don't think it would be any more difficult either way. The main issue here being the stock management. replace that with something that allows flexibility with regards to tuning strategies and it's probably a wash at that point and comes down to which is better suited for the given application. 'they say' itb's are the bees' knees for NA stuff.

Back