• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just wondering...

TR Conn

I'm fed up with carbs!
Just playing around with ideas:

-Is there enough room in the engine bay for a D-jet intake on a B20 in a PV445 Duett? If not, how much work is necessary to get it to fit? I really don't want to do any thing that can't be easily reversed.

-I don't happen to have an E or F head lying about, so I was wondering if injector bungs could be press fit/ JB'd or Loctited into the intake runners on the D-jet intake? Similar to the B230 intake.

-Another thought, could 2 GM mini TBI injectors be placed on the top of the equalization tube and directed into the intake runners? That would be one injector for each pair of cylinders which would allow the use of the original SUs as throttle bodies.

I've searched around and found that bungs have been added to B23 manifolds.
Has this been done with a B20 intake?
Links? Comments? Results? Denigrating remarks for stupid ideas?

Thanks
-TR

Last edited:
I don't think there is any meaningful difference in space under the hood of a 544 and a 445/210. One time I had the DCOE's off of my PV's engine and tried an old D_Jet manifold I have laying around and it really didn't come close to fitting. It just sort of reaches up and forward into the area where the hood and fenders taper in.

There's a bit of an issue with using two injectors, one for each pair of cylinders (as the SU's are set up) - and that's the uneven pairing/firing order spacing of 1&2, 3&4. Two intake events 90 degrees apart, and then 270 degrees of wait time. It might be difficult to give each cylinder an equal share of the injected gas.

Has anyone any experience with the Patton Machine TBI conversion for SU carbs?

http://www.pattonmachine.com/TBI-Main.htm

They seem to be popular on British cars and they would certainly suffer from the uneven rotation/firing order it it is indeed a problem.

I pulled the carbs yesterday to install an un-cracked exhaust manifold and test fit a D-jet manifold. It does "kinda" fit. A little space needs to be mane for the TPS, the hood hinge is just touching the throttle cable "snail". A 90 intake can pull air from down by the radiator where there is plenty of room for an air cleaner and an MAF.
In a previous thread I was playing with the idea of LH 2.4 with a B20. This hasn't been forgotten, its just on the back burner.

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=317166

Last edited:
Unless you're really married to the idea of two carb throats, SU style, maybe ponder DCOE style throttle bodies? Basically ITB's. No weird off-tempo cylinder sharing.

I'm honestly not sure how much of an issue the cylinder pairing thing is really. I've never tried it, D-Jet has 4 port injectors, as does anything newer that Volvo did. And while the Volvo motors run perfectly fine with two SU's on an off-beat tempo (they distribute fuel as the air flows through) other manufacturers have often gone to the effort of pulse pairing carb intakes for 4 cylinders and dual carbs.

I ran megasquirt with two gutted su’s. Ran fine. So you could just have the manifold drilled for injectors and have dual throttle bodies. 45mm throttle bodies aren’t too hard to get.

Back