• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

manifold to turbo connection leaking... still

Overboosted745

Sofa King
After 3 exhaust manifolds and 2 iterations of my present TDO5, the connection between my exhaust manifold and turbo is *STILL* leaking.

This is a major pain in the arse, as whenever I run the car, it leaks and stinks up the cabin, driving with the windows up helps when at speed, but if I'm stopped with the heat / AC running, it sucks up the exhaust fumes and inserts them into the cabin.

This is not only an inconvenience, its also a major health hazard.

As I mentioned above, I've tried everything... I mean everything!

My original manifold leaked when cold but sealed up when warm.

I had the flange on the turbo checked for flatness by Herman @ Cherry turbos while he was hogging out the exhaust side to fit the 14b. I put the turbo on a condition unknown 90+ exhaust manifold, it leaked. Thought it might be the manifold thats leaking this time...

Rolled with that setup for a while, tried making custom gaskets out of everything from paper to sandwiched composite metal like exhaust manifold gaskets are made of. No avail... still leaked like a bastard and ate gaskets.

Thinking it still might be the manifold, Jon W (Volvo242ft) came down the day before I was to drive to Indiana from Maine with a spare manifold off of an 88 745. We (ok, he) installed the whole shootin' match in about 2 actual work hours (would have gone faster but my mom insisted on making us (him) dinner, and I pretty much did nothing, short of removing the old parts and pointing at a few things and talking to my girlfriend on the phone).

Leaks a lot less now, but still leaks which sucks. Sucks a lot. Leaks a lot. Leaks enough to trick the O2 sensor into thinking that its not getting enough fuel. Leaks enough to make my car smoke almost as much as a car with a torn hose would smoke (black smoke under 3/4 - WOT accel).

I'm at my freakin wits end with this thing. I'm about to ask if anyone's got a good TDO5 that's firmly planted on a pre-90 maniflold with NO FREAKIN LEAKS!!! Performance of the TDO5-14b be damned! I want to be able to roll around with my sunroof and windows open without suffocating myself, my plant Dave (don't ask), and my passengers.

Any suggestions?

Take both the turbo and the manifold to a good machine shop and have them plane the mating surfaces.

While manifold is out...check for leaks. Also check turbo (wastegate housing).

Then get correct gaskets and new fastners (studs, washers, nuts) for all mating sections (manifold to block, turbo to manifold). Make sure the correct side of the gasket is against the manifold.

Twoforty
[/quote]

:e-shrug: Guess I have to learn how to Quote........sorry about that "Three Fat Tigers"

twoforty

I'm sick of buying exhaust side gaskets but I know the value of doing things right the first time... which I thought I did the first, second and third times.

So off goes the whole shootin match for a fourth time and into the machine shop this tuesday.

Out comes the checkbook for another costly (anything over $50 that doesn't make the car go faster or handle better is costly in my book) trip to the stealership for pretty much the entire exhaust side gaskets... again.

Thanks all!

Ryan

Back