• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3,500 clunker idea....

mr brick driver

Well I think it is stupid. Who is paying for it? Uh, yeah you and I. Oh, yeah milage has to be improved. So, am I supposed to be happy trading in my 740 turbo and geting an fwd econo car or whatever they offer. I just talked someone who has had his 1968 Volvo 144 since it was two years old. Yes he has had to fix this or that, but you know what, it's still on the road. So, those of you who have 740 turbos and think that you are getting $3,500 you might think again. Hell, look at a 20 year old Honda then look at a 20 year old Volvo. Needless to say, I think that it's funny that Volvo is the only car forum that I'm on that seems to think that this is the least bit cool, which is disapointing. Just think how fast $3500 would pile up if you were not making car payments.

I am with this man. Please people (740 turbo owners who have autos as that's all that qualifies) please don't junk your cars. It's not worth it. Does nothing for the environment, and little for the economy.

IIRC, only the 1990 740 Turbo qualifies, and all 1984-85 240 Turbos. I've noticed very few 1984-85 240 Turbos on CL in the past few weeks. Used to be that you'd see at least one or two every week or so. The only 240 Turbo I've seen on Seattle CL recently has been a red '83 245.

-J

IIRC, only the 1990 740 Turbo qualifies, and all 1984-85 240 Turbos. I've noticed very few 1984-85 240 Turbos on CL in the past few weeks. Used to be that you'd see at least one or two every week or so. The only 240 Turbo I've seen on Seattle CL recently has been a red '83 245.

-J

Well, glad I got a replacement when I did, I know I should not have sold my silver one, but the grey matches my sedan. I also told the guy who bought it that I would buy it back once he was done with it. Anyway, it makes me sick how people buy into this sh!t. I wonder why only the 1990 qualifys.

To futher note this clown activity, a freind of mine is fixing a ladys Lexus that had some minor front end damage. He is a Volvo guy and has never seen such thin sheet metal as to what is on the front end of that lexus.

Then their is BMW and their 10K recomended oil changes. CAN YOU SAY PLANNED OBSOLLENCE?

Don't these people realize that their new car will loose $3,500 in value as soon as they drive it off the lot.

I'll never turn in a real car such as a Volvo for some new plastic govt mandated facsist plastic POS FWD junkbox from China/hell. **** that ****. Go suck my dick you govt scum ****s.

I'm turning in my on-its-last-legs beater 1992 745t for an S60 2.5t

Needless to say, the S60 is not a POS.

How about this: Trade in your beater 740 Turbo and get the $3,500 credit. Find the salvage yard it went to and buy the car back (without the engine). Install a V8 with the money you saved. Screw the government.

How about this: Trade in your beater 740 Turbo and get the $3,500 credit. Find the salvage yard it went to and buy the car back (without the engine). Install a V8 with the money you saved. Screw the government.

how about knowing what the hell you're talking about before posting, the retired cars go straight to the crusher, no parts or salvage!

Don't have to have owned it for 2 years for something like that? Or else everyone and their mother would be out buying side-of-the-road $100 80's chrysler 5th ave's to trade in. :lol:

old cars you can work on. new cars you barely can. better gas mileage or more waste, pick your poison. i dont understand how people can want the govt so involved in their lives

old cars you can work on. new cars you barely can. better gas mileage or more waste, pick your poison. i dont understand how people can want the govt so involved in their lives

Meh, some people don't want to drive cars from the 80's for the rest of their lives lol.

Here's the legalese (from http://www.cars.gov/index.php/faq):
How do I know if my car or truck is an eligible trade-in vehicle?

There are several requirements (but you also have to meet certain conditions for the car or truck you wish to buy). Your dealer can help you determine whether you have an eligible trade in vehicle.

Your trade-in vehicle must

have been manufactured less than 25 years before the date you trade it in
have a "new" combined city/highway fuel economy of 18 miles per gallon or less
be in drivable condition
be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for the full year preceding the trade-in
The trade-in vehicle must have been manufactured not earlier than 25 years before the date of trade in and, in the case of a category 3 vehicle, must also have been manufactured not later than model year 2001
Note that work trucks (i.e., very large pickup trucks and cargo vans) have different requirements.
What is the value of the credit for the purchase or lease of a new passenger car?

The value of the credit for the purchase or lease of a new passenger car depends upon the difference between the combined fuel economy of the vehicle that is traded in and that of the new vehicle that is purchased or leased. If the new vehicle has a combined fuel economy that is at least 4, but less than 10, miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $3,500. If the new vehicle has a combined fuel economy value that is at least 10 miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $4,500.
Most of our cars won't apply.

Back