home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #301
qwkswede
faster than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
yeah I didn't get the pics either, but they're a large missing void
Alright. I guess I can't link photos to google. I uploaded them to the tbricks server.

I don't think I'll be installing taller gears. I actually liked driving the car with 4.10s better, but that really limited my road trip driving. It is fine for everyday freeway driving the way it is.

Man Harald, I don't know how you get 28mpg in a 240. That is pretty good. A manual transmission makes that much difference? I was filling up every 200 miles. That isn't convenient in the Utah dessert.
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #302
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
Alright. I guess I can't link photos to google. I uploaded them to the tbricks server.

I don't think I'll be installing taller gears. I actually liked driving the car with 4.10s better, but that really limited my road trip driving. It is fine for everyday freeway driving the way it is.

Man Harald, I don't know how you get 28mpg in a 240. That is pretty good. A manual transmission makes that much difference? I was filling up every 200 miles. That isn't convenient in the Utah dessert.

He didn't get 28. He's lying
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #303
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:

My car has a .72 OD and 3.73 rear end with those 215/45s. I tuned it to be at 15.5:1 AFR with 35 degrees of advance cruising. having no external fairings, an ipd skid plate, and many lows must have helped. I was not able to get precise numbers, but the 200 mile stretch between Arbuckle and Grenada, CA only took about 7.5 gallons with me behind the wheel, a couple passengers, and a trunk full of tools and luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
He didn't get 28. He's lying
Just because you can't tune doesn't mean it's hard to do it

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #304
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Just because you can't tune doesn't mean it's hard to do it
That's fine. You are still lying
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #305
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

i'll vouch. i did the math on the way back.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #306
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Maybe not a great reference, but my '92 245 averages about 25mpg highway if I keep it at 75mph. I've done better, but that was with a tail-wind. It's got a stock B230FT, chipped LH2.4, .79 or .81 5th (don't remember exactly), 3.73 rear, and 235/45R17 tires.

I would be much happier if I could get closer to 28mpg.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #307
qwkswede
faster than you think

I typically get around 20-21mpg around town. But running on the highway at 75mph or more. I'm making boost most of the time. I had a loaded car with a sail on the roof, and snow tires. None of that helps I know, but I was still surprised at 17mpg. Tank after tank after tank. I spent about $700-800 for fuel on that drive.

My setup isn't that different than yours. 3.73s, .68 4th gear, and a similar tire height 195/60/15.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #308
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

A bigger, laggier turbo could help. We were able to maintain 4" of vacuum or so doing 80-85 on flat sections.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #309
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

i also thought it was interesting how much vac we picked up by getting behind that lifted pickup for a while.
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #310
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

It made a difference despite not following all that closely either.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #311
qwkswede
faster than you think

My 240 got beat to hell in the big hail storm in May 2017. The insurance company totaled the car. I kept it, and they gave me a measly $1500. So what does a resourceful T-bricksta do? Time to fix it yourself. That money should cover my windshield, some junkyard panels, and paint supplies. All the plastic belt trim was busted up from the storm, both mirrors broken too. And the thicker Volvo sheetmetal fared really good compared to the newer thinner cars parked around me.

So here goes...

The paint wasn't great to start with, and the hail storm really blasted off the loose clear coat. It also made about 40-50 dents to fix.

Find em...

Fix em...

Fill em...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hail damage1.jpg (192.3 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg hail damage2.jpg (113.4 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg bondomobile1.jpg (168.3 KB, 303 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #312
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Cheese-less, Ken! I now know where to take my car for un-dinging to happen!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #313
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

MPG seems a little hard to achieve in hilly winding road high elevation CO?
Would really require that you tune it optimally and try to keep your foot just out of boost, which when the air is 40% less dense (or has vastly lower oxygen content anyway) with stuff on the roof and stupid big heavy wheels/tires, sounds more or less impossible....

N/A D24+T 24:1 N/A IDI compression diesel with a turbo for high elevation MPG? Low boost/retard the injection pump somehow for low elevation running and keep an eye on the EGTs?
One good thing about (outdated basically) IDI diesels is that if the pre-chamber is a reasonably efficient design, you can make the compression ratio fairly absurd for high elevation and/or low boost use.

I very much doubt with an AW that taller gears would be any help, and probably worse and miserable to drive in CO. I barely noticed any MPG difference going from 3.73 to 4.10 and in that elevation and average road speeds, I'd keep the 4.10 and trade *possibly* (I doubt it in practical terms really) a little RPM for ability to cruise in at least *slight* vacuum instead of boost most of the time.
If you send me $20 I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 07-17-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #314
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Question for you, with that method of dent removal, you are removing all galv that keeps these cars from rusting so easily, do you worry about that at all?
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #315
qwkswede
faster than you think

I'm not overly concerned about the galv removal in the few bad spots that went down to metal. They will have good quality primer with good amounts of rust proofing in it and decent quality paint and clearcoat. The metal will be reasonably well sealed as long as the paint holds up. Long enough to get a few more years out of the car. It's not going to be a show car paint job, just making it respectable for daily driving. Pretty much the same treatment I gave my last 2 Volvos when they suffered the failing clear coat syndrome, but with some extra dent repair happening first.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #316
LloydDobler
Board Member

I feel yer pain Ken. I finally upgraded my beater V70 T5 to a sonic blue R 6 speed... In mid April. Got hit with that storm, fortunately not as bad as some people, but insurance paid me out $2900. Replaced one taillight, getting the dents pulled next Monday.

Still really tempted to invest a bill in some of those PDR tools and try my hand at that for future door dings.
'05 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car
LloydDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #317
qwkswede
faster than you think

If anyone ever tells you that car painting is easy they are lying. My deltoids are screaming in agony this weekend after another big weekend of sanding and spraying primer. But progress... I have quite a few more hours of blocking and then color time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170723_155542.jpg (115.6 KB, 212 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #318
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

I painted a curtain rod yesterday. It sucked and my work sucked. Painting sucks.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #319
mopar318
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Question for you, with that method of dent removal, you are removing all galv that keeps these cars from rusting so easily, do you worry about that at all?
They don't rust that bad if they aren't driven in salt spray. I used a sealer over bare metal on mine.

1989 244 b230ft with pLAID recaros
1980 242 16 valve turbo
2007 V70R
mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #320
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
If anyone ever tells you that car painting is easy they are lying. My deltoids are screaming in agony this weekend after another big weekend of sanding and spraying primer. But progress... I have quite a few more hours of blocking and then color time...
Dude.... You're going to find paint dust all over your garage.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #321
qwkswede
faster than you think

Default Back on the road...

The paint is done and I am really happy with the outcome. I have the car re-assembled again and driving it around using it as my every day person and bike hauler. It just went past 240,000 miles and the motor is strong. I got it cleaned up and installed the summer wheels. It will be back on the snows again soon. But It was good to drive it around gathering compliments for a while.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240_painted_lowered.jpg (202.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #322
12david34
Board Member

Quote:
The paint is done and I am really happy with the outcome. I have the car re-assembled again and driving it around using it as my every day person and bike hauler. It just went past 240,000 miles and the motor is strong. I got it cleaned up and installed the summer wheels. It will be back on the snows again soon. But It was good to drive it around gathering compliments for a while.

oh, i like that!
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #323
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Looks awesome. Paint looks great.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #324
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Any better pictures of the finish? Show off your hard work!