• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

945 Stalls While Driving

jfry

My wifes 93 945 stalled out almost three weeks ago while she was driving. Happened again this morning two hundred miles into her weekly commute. She waited a minute and it started and drove fine. Replaced the fuel filter about six weeks ago just because and I'm wondering if that's the reason somehow. We've put probably almost 1000 miles on it since the first time it happened and the second time. I drove it two hundred miles and it didn't happen. No check engine light no, no warning, I have no idea. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Just a guess: May be rusty wiring for Radio Suppression relay on the inner driver side fender under the hood.
Would be good to know if the fuel pumps were buzzing when attempting to start.

Definitely sounds like crankpositionsensors.
If not, check groundpoints and clean them. If you have a good voltmeter, measure them.
Any codes?

Crank sensor, powerstage, fuel pump relay, or fuel injector relay.

When it's dead, check for spark and fuel injector pulse. Noid light kit for $15 from auto parts store is what I req for fuel injector pulse. A $5 spark tester may be helpful too.

If both spark AND fuel are missing, suspect the crank sensor. If you have spark and it runs on brake cleaner, look into fuel system.

I have a dead truck in the air right now with a crank sensor code and won't run on brake cleaner. Gonna see if I can see anything on the crank sensor waveform using the scope...

Edit-So....using the scope I confirmed a good crank sensor waveform. I next used my large jaw amp clamp on the battery cable and graphed the cranking current waveform, performing a relative compression test. I saw two dead cylinders on the waveform=mechanical no start.

Last edited:
Random thought. Does she have a bunch of crap on her keychain?

As a matter of fact I think she does. Key position popped into my head the first time this happened but I didn't think of the key chain of crap.

Wouldn't a bad sensor trigger the check engine light?

Last edited:
No CEL when mine died, 2 different sensors over the years before I finally bought new.

Worth a look on the keychain/KP thing as well since you can't repeat it. The tach moving without the idle changing at all though, strange, could be indicative of a crank sensor or power stage as well..

Only weird thing I've ever seen it do is the tach needle bouncing slightly at idle.

I had the same in one of my 940s, at 2500rpm though. Was only the wiringcontact behind the revcounter. The Radio Suppression Relays could be a problem as well. Always worth a try to clean the connections there. Have you measured the groundpoints?

Replaced crank sensor and power stage. Been fine for 3k miles. Happened again tonight. Seems like its always about 180 miles into her trip. Car starts again right away. I don't want to buy a KIA!

Crank sensor, powerstage, fuel pump relay, or fuel injector relay.

This

Just had the same issue, replaced the the CPS, the Fuel injection relay, power stage and replaced the thermal paste. Even replaced the whole Fuel ECU.

Turned out to be the fuel pump relay, replace that... going strong

try reading codes and tell us what you get. If you get the code that says missing signal from fuel ECU (1-4-4 I think) then it's likely to be the fuel pump relay as when that dies, it shuts the whole fuel computer off as well as the pump.

The next time it dies, turn the ignition on and see if you can hear the pump.

Back