• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Bolts snapped off in block from engine mounting.

Svenska_Monokrom

Professional Lowballer
So I turn to here for some advice on this.

So basically I have a failed engine mount, but the block of rubber itself isn't failed. The bracket that holds it in place I broke at the block.

The bolts for that bracket snapped off and left the rest of them imbedded in the block.

I'm just trying to get some ideas on how to get those bolts out of the block so I can reinstall the bracket properly. I know those cheap little stripper bolt removal tools work sometimes but we want a method that would cause as little damage to the block as possible. A new engine is not an option for us right now.

I suck at explaining things so feel free to ask for some clarification.

easiest way will be to weld a bolt to them and get them out.

:wtf:

No, that will not be an easy way.

These work great if there is anything left to grab onto.

Otherwise, you'll need:
- a center punch
- a right angle drill (these are available in electric if you don't have a compressor)
- left handed drill bits
- a good light

But, to be honest... If it's just one side you'll likely come out on top financially having a shop repair it if you have none of the requisite tools on hand for extraction.

Last edited:
:wtf:

No, that will not be an easy way.

These work great if there is anything left to grab onto.

Otherwise, you'll need:
- a center punch
- a right angle drill (these are available in electric if you don't have a compressor)
- left handed drill bits
- a good light

But, to be honest... If it's just one side you'll likely come out on top financially having a shop repair it if you have none of the requisite tools on hand for extraction.

Super easy... when you pay someone to do it...

Extracting broken bolts using a welder is a whole lot easier than drill and try to get a seized bolt out

Super easy... when you pay someone to do it...

Extracting broken bolts using a welder is a whole lot easier than drill and try to get a seized bolt out

IF you have a lift, and a welder and...

FWIW, my welds are sufficient for towing twenty thousand pounds of freight. But, welding a bolt onto a broken bolt would not be my go-to solution

Reacharound from top... weld doesn’t have to be good either. Point to it is the broken bolt gets super hot and loosens up. You then just back it out with welded on smaller bolt or nut.

Nuts work best, even with a broken easy out.

MixedNuts.jpg

Alright so to answer back to alot of the replies here because I know I kept it sort of vague (my bad).

-The bolts are broken off flush with the block so there's not much at all outside to grab on to, I'd assume that may make welding a bit difficult too.

-We don't have a welder or know anyone local who would be willing to let us use one

-We thought about just drilling out the end of the bolts and then breaking them out but we're hoping for some easier alternatives.

And then as for a picture, it may be poor but it's a awkward place to squeeze a phone into:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GKe5Gc7dDnxkbpEz5

Sorry, replying from work, thank you all for replying.

Reacharound from top... weld doesn’t have to be good either. Point to it is the broken bolt gets super hot and loosens up. You then just back it out with welded on smaller bolt or nut.

Okay Jack. Will have to keep the nut trick for desperation.

One last thing though... Ideally, you would heat the block and cool the bolt / stud. That would be in an imaginary world though.

Heating the bolt only helps if you can cold quench it (that's what we do to get stubborn bearing races out of industrial axles... Heat race until at least half is glowing and then throw in a wet rag. Dodge the steam, then remove race with the rag ;-)

^^^ I DO NOT recommend that solution here. It will make the block brittle.

-We thought about just drilling out the end of the bolts and then breaking them out but we're hoping for some easier alternatives.

My drilling solution does not involve "breaking them out".

The left handed drill bits can be bought at Northern Tool or possibly even Harbor Freight.

The left handed drill bit usually removes the broken bolt (unless it is actually seized).

It is important to get the bit centered though because you may need two or three different size bits to finally get the bolt to start coming out.

My drilling solution does not involve "breaking them out".

The left handed drill bits can be bought at Northern Tool or possibly even Harbor Freight.

The left handed drill bit usually removes the broken bolt (unless it is actually seized).

It is important to get the bit centered though because you may need two or three different size bits to finally get the bolt to start coming out.

Ah ok, sorry I didn't quite understand what a left hand drill bit was, I searched it up.

I might try that, I don't believe the bolts are seized so maybe it might work? I see harbor freight has a set for about 9 dollars.

The bracket just snapped? Any chance the remains of the bolts aren't particularly tight (now that the "pulling" force on the threads is gone), and a sharp center-punch or chisel and hammer might tap-tap-tap them around and out? Or have you already tried that?

One of many Youtube demos 2:28 - 4:02 ...
https://youtu.be/_R1b8niX13w?t=148

The bracket just snapped? Any chance the remains of the bolts aren't particularly tight (now that the "pulling" force on the threads is gone), and a sharp center-punch or chisel and hammer might tap-tap-tap them around and out? Or have you already tried that?

One of many Youtube demos 2:28 - 4:02 ...
https://youtu.be/_R1b8niX13w?t=148

We haven't really touched it yet but we have thought of that, ideally the remains of the bolts should be pretty loose (my car has a tendency of killing engine mounts).

We plan on attacking the issue tommorow with everything we've read here. Starting from simple to complicated.

X2. I was amazed how well this worked. It might help to put a washer under the nut.

I have used the welding nut method many of times. Its my go to before I reach for the drill. What I do is get a washer with the I.D. the same as the bolt or a tad smaller. Weld the washer in place and then weld my nut to the washer from the inside of the nut.

I have used the welding nut method many of times. Its my go to before I reach for the drill. What I do is get a washer with the I.D. the same as the bolt or a tad smaller. Weld the washer in place and then weld my nut to the washer from the inside of the nut.

If you guys have all of that material left to add washers and nuts and then weld on, then you're doing it wrong...

Because, these things work great!

picture.php

^I linked to a set of these earlier but I know you lot are too lazy to look. So, here's an exemplar.

OP, try to turn what's left of the bolt with a punch. I've also gotten lucky enough on the past to have the sharp part of the broken bolt get stuck in my glove (Atlas gloves have a sort of rubber coating on the palm and fingertips) and start turning that way.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back