• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1981 242 taillight diagram.

MikeSr.

What, me worry?
300+ Club
Looking for a specific current flow diagram for how the taillights are fed when the light switch is on the headlight position. Green book has a parking/taillight diagram, but omits the headlight-on path to the taillights.
I have taillights in park, none in headlight.

The big Volvo diagram seems to show a path thru the bulb out relay, but doesn?t show the different switch paths.

I don't think its wired differently. Try another light switch, sounds like it may be the culprit.

New light switch.
Wired differently than what?
There is no path to the taillights shown in the headlight-on position in the diagrams or on my car.
And Volvowiringdiagrams.com omits 1981.

I mean i don't see anything about different path wirings to rear taillights in the wiring diagrams.
Every wiring diagram I checked shows the taillight feed from light switch pin 58, which is active on both park and headlight on position. Check it with a multimeter.

Wire missing from switch. -spliced in a new wire and I have taillights.
P.O. did some creative wiring.
No worries!

I mean i don't see anything about different path wirings to rear taillights in the wiring diagrams.
Every wiring diagram I checked shows the taillight feed from light switch pin 58, which is active on both park and headlight on position. Check it with a multimeter.

but has to go through combination switch and flasher circuit
not a straight shot
hey OP, find diagram for combination switch if still want to fix correctly

When I wired the new switch, like the later models, a 4 prong switch- I got taillights in park, none in headlights . That’s wiring (30)- 12V all the time- to the white wire, switched 12V to the yellow wire.
Looks like the power path goes thru the bulb out sensor to the taillights out of 58l/58r . I have no output there. So- taillights can receive power from the fuses 15 and 16 in park, but from 58l/58r in headlights? I must need a new bulb out relay

Need to define what OP considers tail lights
And what is in park mean?
Running lights?
Simple circuit and either way hiperfauto provided factory wiring diagram
Basic stuff

Last edited:
Back