home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #251
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Nice heating tricks -- down this way, in the summertime, I just set it in the sun. Especially with black paint -- it heats right up.
Seems like at my place no matter where it goes it ends up with a bug stuck to it and some hair from the golden retriever
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #252
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Seems like at my place no matter where it goes it ends up with a bug stuck to it and some hair from the golden retriever
That's my 'redneck patina'.....if I can trap a few mosquitos = worth it.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #253
hackster
Board Member

You guys crack me up. We come up with some serious ingenuity when we are building cars =)

I was surprised how well the carpet and rear seat bottom cleaned up with some purple power and a pressure washer. Gotta figure out either a big heel plate for the drivers area or a new front carpet piece.

Managed to track down the van only accelerator pedal plug that I needed and got it wired into the harness. Note to peeps, Vans have a different plug on them =)

There is not many newer vans in wrecking yards around here. My search took me to the most sketchy wrecking yard I have ever been too. Super nice guys but sketchy. They had some super cool cars in there, stuff you dont see in wrecking yards that are on the beaten path.

Got the emergency brake cables figured out, I am using the Lokar cables for an 8.8 they will adapt easily with the adjusters and everything. Got them in, ran the fuel pump wire up and around the rear seat area.

Threw this stuff back in to see how it would look, it looks so much better just being clean. Cannot wait to get the rest of the interior in. Gotta find some brown parts and pieces though.

Still waiting for rear brakes to show up, driveline is done, just need to pick it up in Portland. Have one wire to terminate and I can check to make sure it turns over and stuff, pull program from ECU so that we can work on programming.

I need to have it able to roll in the next few weeks.

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #254
hackster
Board Member

Got an adapter that I thought would work for the fronts to be able to roll it on my old F100 wheels and tires....nope.

I need a shorter spring combo. Trying to fit this much wheel and tire is going to require every bit of space I can get. Right now the spring and adjuster are below the top of the tire so the tire hits that. I cannot go any lower on the suspension settings or I get into the tire even more. It looks like I need at least an inch shorter spring.

But the wheels and tires actually look pretty good on there. This is a 275 on a 10" wheel. I could easily roll, pull and stretch the fender to clear this wheel and tire.

Its got that meaty look to it, I dig it.

Sean
Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #255
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

Cars look so much better when they get some big tires on.

Yours is looking great.

Last edited by t8fanning; 08-29-2018 at 05:33 PM..
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #256
rallydallas
Board Member

Quick question--did you have any collision with coil #7 and the brake booster? I can't tell from the pictures.

BTW thanks a lot for all the pictures they're really handy!
rallydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #257
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
Cars look so much better when they get some big tires on.

Yours is looking great.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post
Quick question--did you have any collision with coil #7 and the brake booster? I can't tell from the pictures.

No issues at all with booster to coil. I have tons of room there, even if you slid the mounts back as far as you could I think you would be ok for clearance.

Sean
Old 08-30-2018, 09:26 PM   #258
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post

I have zero issues either. I have to take coil off to get the booster off but thats a 3 minute ordeal. I do wish there was more room between front of oil pan and steering rack with these ls mounts.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:45 PM   #259
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
I do wish there was more room between front of oil pan and steering rack with these ls mounts.
What oil pan and whose mounts?
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:30 AM   #260
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
What oil pan and whose mounts?
Holly 302-1 oil pan and STS machining mounts.

I agree, a little more room would be nice, I talked with Scott about it a little bit. I put in a later model rack and gained a c hair more room now.

Sean
Old 08-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #261
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Sorry Sean - question directed at TX240’s set up....
Old 08-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #262
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
Holly 302-1 oil pan and STS machining mounts.

I agree, a little more room would be nice, I talked with Scott about it a little bit. I put in a later model rack and gained a c hair more room now.

Sean
What huckster said. I have this exact setup.
Texas240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #263
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Thx - lots of folks looking at the threads for ideas of how they wanna do the swap - so more data points about who did what can help others. I used a thinner oil pan and lowered my rack a little to let me get the motor a bit lower. And that helped with booster clearance as well.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #264
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Thx - lots of folks looking at the threads for ideas of how they wanna do the swap - so more data points about who did what can help others. I used a thinner oil pan and lowered my rack a little to let me get the motor a bit lower. And that helped with booster clearance as well.
Im not having a booster clearance problem its just lifting the trans higher for a more straighter alignment of the engine parallel with the car but with the rack being in like a 1/8" proximity it makes it much harder even with that thinner holley oil pant.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #265
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I’m 3 degrees down in back; pinion 3 degrees up.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #266
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
I’m 3 degrees down in back; pinion 3 degrees up.
I think I'm 5º degrees down
Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #267
M.H. Yount
Board Member

...which helps with booster clearance no doubt...
Old 09-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #268
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D

Hey! That is one great project man! Love it! Makes me want to start playing with my 242 aswell

ADam

=->Adam's Joint Creations<-=

adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #269
brendon_ak
Board Member

Also, nice Taco, 6spd? And I want your canopy.
brendon_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #270
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
...which helps with booster clearance no doubt...
I have booster clearance regardless of +5/-5 degrees
Old 09-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #271
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Just trying to point out the lower it is in the back, the more you move away from the booster.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #272
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon_ak View Post
Also, nice Taco, 6spd? And I want your canopy.
Thanks,, its not what it looks like it is. Its a 4 cylinder 5 speed (SR) that I put all the suspension off a TRD, flares wheels and tires on. They were all take off's I got for less than $1,000 so it made total sense. Only thing I still need to add is a rear locker, the rear electronic limited slip works suprisingly well though. I dont love the look of the canopy but I sure love the functionality of it. I have a little over 20,000 miles in 8 months and not a single issue with it. Hands down the best little truck I have ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adomz View Post
Hey! That is one great project man! Love it! Makes me want to start playing with my 242 aswell

ADam
Thanks Adam!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
I have booster clearance regardless of +5/-5 degrees
Pics? Not sure how you are having clearance issues there though, I can easily fit my hand between the two. I am at 3 degrees as well, with the old rack it just touched the pan, with the new rack I have less than mm of clearance. Neither are moving parts though so I am not worried now.

Quote:
Just trying to point out the lower it is in the back, the more you move away from the booster.
True.

Zero time to work on the car the past few weeks and will be very little progress in the coming weeks. I did manage to pickup my newly rebuilt driveline from my buddy Brian in Portland, hands down the best drivelines anywhere. Had him use the heavy duty STS carrier bearing in it.

Powdercoated carrier crossmember and new hardware (Need fender washers still) all new hardware for the rear flange as well. Applied new undercoating to the rest of the underbody at this point as well. Its not perfect, but its hard to spray when the car isnt on a lift.

Rear brakes showed up at the parts place Friday so I am going to try and get those installed this evening if possible, I could even potentially get the Emergency Brake cables cut to length and hooked up.

Plan is to have a roller in the next 2 weeks.

Sean
Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #273
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Lookin' good! Share your thinking on a 2-piece vs. 1-piece DS on this one. Lots of people struggle trying to figure out which approach they want to take.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #274
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Lookin' good! Share your thinking on a 2-piece vs. 1-piece DS on this one. Lots of people struggle trying to figure out which approach they want to take.
I did not want to chop out the tunnel for driveline clearances. 2 piece allows you to clear that no problem. Yes its more moving parts, but also more strength in the tube itself. You can run a smaller tube diameter and thicker walls on the smaller diameter tube. If you want to go one piece, you are going to have to increase the tube diameter and run into even more tunnel clearance issues.

I am no driveline guy though. I am sure that others have widely different opinions than mine. Some hate the 2 piece, some hate the one piece, some hate the carrier bearing. I had a 2 piece in the F100 with zero issues.

Sean
Old 09-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #275
M.H. Yount
Board Member

That's the kind of laying out of the variables that helps folks make the best decision in their circumstances. Thx....