• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

From Bad to Worse - Clutch woes

All right squadron. This is it. Even got some dank pics to share. So the clutch fork is definitely outta there, no doubt:
lLrnbqYl.jpg

SWk2CcWl.jpg

ag8b6yJl.jpg

Turns out I had been tightening the clutch so much that.... oh I already said that. Well it looks wicked to look at. The firewall crack is welded up relatively nice. Hey, maybe the way its welded added another layer or two of metal on top of the crack lol. Better than an open crack doe!
0jB8bL2l.jpg

I also took a pic of where the fork sits right now to compare it to my dumb ass
pGVLIMQl.jpg

I don't have an old photo of how I had the fork originally, but lets just say it was waaaay to far forward... the fork rested on the wall of the trans pinching the boot against it.

Its confirmed, through my dad pushing the pedal down, that the wall no longer moves.... ausgezeichnet indeed. Along with that here's a little add on to previous things that have disappeared now;
1)Chattering clutch in neutral - explains it self. That is now gone. Im guessing something may have been warped
2)Faint surging when going from a stop - no matter how "smooth as buttermilk" I was coming off the clutch, she would surge just a little. The previous owner had told me about this. Since all I've ever owned is older cars we both just chalked it up to being an older car lol. Hell, my s13 ('93) did it a little, but the previous owner was a wanna be Tsuchiya with an open diff...… smh. Anyways, the surging was prolly from her clutch kicking in 3rd like a pro to get up hills. Incredible technique on the test drive by her part. It was scary to watch!

So Vol-Tech did an awesome job. Slapped a hella smile on my grill :cool:. In total I got a clutch kit, fork, "new" used resurfaced flywheel, rear main seal, and a firewall welded up. The only negative outcome now is my reverse switch must of took a hit for the team or somethings 'cuz the reverse lights where stuck on. I took it back to em but they just disconnected it for now, per my request, due too another switch being near $60 from Volvo. I think I can handle this myself though...……… Only like $25- $30 at autozone. For now though im not trippin. My inspection is good till next September anyways. I got time.

They also took off my brand new clutch fork return spring. Im riding without it but I order ANOTHER one from IDP already. I figure it may not be important but if the factory put it there then I want it there damn it!

All ready. Guess that's the end of this trail. Maybe next time I wont be a total panzee and do it myself in the name of Volvo spirit. For now, I had to suck in my pride. At least im back on the road!!!!

Oh actually that $20 - $30 reference was for the wheel bearings - front. My right front wheel bearing is crunchy like pool coping under my board..... Gnarly. I think the light with a new wiring harness pigtail thingy is like $20 - whatever. I keep finding different sources.

Ok I found another hiccup but its cool since I caught it early. My oil was a literal pinch above the lowest mark on the dipstick. So they must've did my rear main seal but not put oil back in. It's cool though since they didn't charge me for it.... I think. Oh well, I use Mobile 1 Synthetic so its cool.

Does anyone have any words for riding around without the return spring on the clutch fork. I hear its not the worst but i'd like to be edumacated on the fact. Google brings up the throwout bearing is technically not as far back of a resting point as it should be, though others say its not mandatory at all. I mean its only 3 days till I get it and I'm off work so not much driving going to be done.... except for skateparks weather permit.... lol skate in the rain. Skate or die!

You'll be fine riding around. I like the spring and used them but it does make the pedal a bit heavier. Somewhere around 1980-82 they stopped using them on the US cars. My turbos have not had them and all the 87 and newer M47 cars don't have the return spring unless it's added by someone.

^^Bet. That's good to know that I should make it. Lol, I'm driving this car so carefully right now I prolly wouldn't wanna sneeze on the clutch if I didn't know better...… or even if I did! Whichever one. I appreciate it! The spring will be in tomorrow anyways though :D

Back