• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MS3 : 1st toot angle with TTV flywheel [PICS]

kingkong

Hi guys,

I installed my TTV flywheel but i don't remember how i installed it, ie i don't know where the missing teeth are, in respect to to dead center of cylinder 1.
Engine is in the car now, and i'd rather not kill a few batteries in order to find thegood timing.

On this picture, there is a mark on the back of the crankshaft. Does it indicate the #1 TDC or any other information i could use to define my first missing tooth angle ?

Thanks.

Find TDC #1 (or #4) via the timing marks on the front pulley. Bear in mind that a very old pulley may have had the outer shell with the marks slip. If you have doubts, you could carefully check wit something nondamaging like a chopstick, through the #1 sparkplug hole.

With the engine at TDC#1, the missing tooth should be in the starter hole area. It's not a fine positioning, there are only 8 possibilities. It will either be right or way off.

If I remember right your flywheel is of one bolt anticlockwise.
Have a closer search into the www, this will help you. I have to go to my workshop to be shure. Good luck, Kay

You just need to get the degree close to get the engine started, then use a timing gun and TunerStudio and adjust the timing by software.

Yeah, if you're using Megasquirt you could probably get just about any position to work.

Thank you guys.
I know i can use the position i want with TS but i had to figure out the 1st tooth angle since there are 8 possibilities for the flywheel position.
Turns out, i will have to remove the starter motor, in order to feel with my finger how many teeth i have between TDC and the first missing tooth.

Why not just count the teeth from the picture above? Fingering your start hole doesn't get your finger up to the top dead center.. Top dead center or where the crank sensor is.

If you know where the flywheel is orientations wise to actual top dead center, you know with piston number one all the way up and both valves for cylinder number one closed..

I got the exact same flywheel here right now not on any car, right in front of me. Want me to count air holes in it for you?

Did you put the flywheel on the stock correct LH 2.4 dead top position? If so then you can count the holes with the pic.

Ohh reading your posts again, you don't know how you put it on position wise at all. Time to take the transmission back out..

Last edited:
Back