• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Did all 1993-on 940's have the G80 in the rear?

94-95 940 Turbos were a base model car. You got the turbo engine, that's it. Everything else was an option that you had to pay for, including alloy wheels.

Does this also include the g80? I?ve seen a lot of misinformation saying that all the 93+ were g80 cars, even the base models.

Update: jacked up the right side of the car today and dropped it into gear, eased off the brake and it never locked up. Tried it in only first gear, slowly accelerating, then tried it in drive through 2nd gear. Driver side axle tube is stamped 1041 3.73. Weird stuff, it’s either an open diff or it’s broken.

The part that I've seen broken is the little gear on the ramp up weight thing that you cut to make it lock up at any speed. The little gears strip on it then it doesn't turn and lock up the locker. Course you gotta take it all apart to fix it and find another good part.

I have parted out a couple of G80 equipped 940s where the G80 no longer locked in them. I always test them in the car to see whether they will lock tight enough to spin the tire on the pavement with the other elevated with a floor jack.

The G80 was supposed to be standard equipment on all US model 93-95 940s. I have only encountered 1 1993 940 that did not have the G80.

Really? I thought it was only turbos that G80s were standard on. I know my old 94 944 na sure seemed like a 100% open diff. It was a low mile creampuff when I got it too. The two 94 940 turbos that I've had were obviously equipped with lockers. The red sedan I had a while back seemed to have one that worked a bit better than my current wagon, bit like I said it was obvious that they both had g80s.

I too have heard the g80 was standard on the later 940’s,so was surprised to see it listed as standard equipment on the window sticker of my 91 945 turbo.also found it to work much better on the 91 than my current 95,but that car has 380k so there’s that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have heard the g80 was standard on the later 940?s,so was surprised to see it listed as standard equipment on the window sticker of my 91 945 turbo.also found it to work much better on the 91 than my current 95,but that car has 380k so there?s that.

Sorry. I hit the wrong button. It should have been quote instead of edit.

All US market Turbo 740s and 940s were supposed to be equipped with the G80 locker starting in 1991. I have never encountered a 1991-95 Turbo that didn't have it.

How do you accomplish this safely? Seems dangerous?

A floor jack underneath the right rear control arm pointed in the direction of travel with the tire no more than a half inch off the ground. Then, just lightly line lock the car with the brakes so that the front brakes set. The engine will easily overpower the rear brakes, especially with ABS.

Back