• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

This "modern" Kenwood radio in Amazon or not ?

Jack

junkman
I dont like the look of modern looking radios in plain sight in old cars but until I upgrade this one to bluballstooth and amp outputs ($500) or get an old looking modern one ($2-300) Im either stuck with one speaker or I can install this Kenwood I have laying around and install some good speakers I have.

(I would rather spend the money elsewhere on this car)

currently in car
yXzhGQo.jpg

potential candidate Kenwood krc-922

machined aluminum knobs
missing it's aluminum face overlay
came with this "AUDIO SAFE"

what kind of amp outputs are these ?
DGt5yTzh.jpg

E8ZUCVdh.jpg

vJ1dqUqh.jpg

so whats your thought?

Last edited:
They're a kind of 'DIN' cable, you can get adapters to RCA. Not sure exactly how many pins that one is but it'll be something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIE-KENWOO...011203?hash=item2865b45e03:g:BHUAAOSwhqVbDZPa

Does it work?
:oogle:
I just put up the picture too... they are 5pin
like ZO ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEMENG-5-P...842624&hash=item2f20536b94:g:CyAAAOSw-kBbdqcR
- does this mean its a 4 channel ?

powers on/off changes stations. I dont remember if I tried a tape in it ... but had no way of listening to it anyway

I was just thinking of painting the space where the silver face plate was glued on with matching interior paint

I think the number buttons were orange but would change to green to match interior

To install a DIN radio will require enlarging the opening in the dash.
If you are worried about originality (not many of us are) you could mount it in an under dash radio housing.

- does this mean its a 4 channel ?
no, just English company that used the DIN plugs

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/

Anything tape machine wise until even early 1980s here too
The KENWOOD is a very good head unit but those years were plagued with cold solder joint issues even new mainly power supply
Might want to clean up inside and install fresh belts before hassle of install
Sound on par with good quality home equipment pre chimp amp crapola
KENWOOD is also better sounding than just about anything today under $500 and even then.........................

There's a similar Audiovox in my parts Amazon and it doesn't look too out of place.
were they the bottom of the barrel right above radio shack?
pics!

I have other volvo radio but again no amp outputs

To install a DIN radio will require enlarging the opening in the dash.
If you are worried about originality (not many of us are) you could mount it in an under dash radio housing.
yeah Im not elarging holes or having a dummy radio. then one "hidden"

no, just English company that used the DIN plugs

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/

Anything tape machine wise until even early 1980s here too
The KENWOOD is a very good head unit but those years were plagued with cold solder joint issues even new mainly power supply
Might want to clean up inside and install fresh belts before hassle of install
Sound on par with good quality home equipment pre chimp amp crapola
KENWOOD is also better sounding than just about anything today under $500 and even then.........................
good to know I was going to clean in up inside and check belt(s)

low power when compare to today's pos chimp amps with distortion numbers tracking with output
maybe find smallish under dash amp at swap meet or yard sale if you want it louder
always good?
1980s Clarion and Jensen labelled stuff
Japan and Korea made

old Volvo radio with push buttons beautiful piece of industrial art
form following function always best

low power when compare to today's pos chimp amps with distortion numbers tracking with output
maybe find smallish under dash amp at swap meet or yard sale if you want it louder
always good?
1980s Clarion and Jensen labelled stuff
Japan and Korea made

:nod: I have a hoard already :oogle:
want to run MB Quarts 6x9 on rear deck - real German stuff I got in the late 90s

I need to figure out how to make them look "correct" back there

:nod: I have a hoard already :oogle:
want to run MB Quarts 6x9 on rear deck - real German stuff I got in the late 90s

I need to figure out how to make them look "correct" back there

cool
how sensitive are those?
I always hide under shelf tray use cloth for grilles and make new board to sane original if too nice to cut

Talking Clarion and Jensen branded amps though

Do you mind posting a picture of the back of the old KENWOOD? Those early 1980s models were the best. Sony made some great ones too, very rare hard to find today, some of the first with line level outputs and true discrete pre-amps on board
That is why they have potential to sound so good
Almost no one ever thinks car audio and Sony but when Blaupunkt was hot ticket like radio Berlin era Sony kicked their ass
Blaupunkt always over priced but does hurt my heart that is a sad sad story
Sad too Alpine won marketing game selling some really ****ty radios when compared overall, expensive too
KENWOOD was KING at every price point and in performance

I think I saw something advertised in Hemmings about updating old radios. Dunno. Or maybe hide a late-model unit someplace and run the Bluetooth from your phone?

Back