• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Modding your 2.3L FWD Turbo Volvo 850, 70-series

EricF: thanks for the info. im going to VS to see if i can research the possibilities of LPT before i spend any $$$. i want ot make sure i know what i want to do it properly.
ca't wait to read your article...it will be a "publishing" we all will love to read.

To Modify Exhaust System I Need To Set Up 2.5 Piping. Should I Need To Modify Exhaust Mainfold To Fit 2.5 Downpipe Or Just Remove The Stock Piping And Put 2,5 ?

LION 850 T5 said:
To Modify Exhaust System I Need To Set Up 2.5 Piping. Should I Need To Modify Exhaust Mainfold To Fit 2.5 Downpipe Or Just Remove The Stock Piping And Put 2,5 ?

Exhaust manifold bolts to turbo, turbo bolts to downpipe... So no you wouldn't have to change anything with the exhaust manifold since it does not connect to the exhaust at all :) Just un-bolt the stock downpipe and exhaust from the turbo and bolt the new stuff up.

LION 850 T5 said:

Just remove the stock piping, and for a downpipe I'd recommend going 3''. After the DP it'd be a good idea to go down to about 2.5''.

I'm using 2.5" piping with mandrel bends from the cat back. I find this to be a vast improvement over the stock setup.
Ultimately I'll replace the cat with something bigger and perhaps the downpipe, but the car had a split muffler which really needed to be fixed.

The M59 does NOT have an LSD, it's more like a hydraulic coupling that transfers up to 190NM to the wheel that is spinning.

JFYI.

So, I need a simple answer. Can all of these mods be performed on an 850 GLT? I know this is a n00bish question, but hey, I'm a Volvo n00b. :)

If these mods can be done, I think this would be a way better deal for a fast (faster?) car rather than saving up money for an 850 T-5 Turbo sedan. Plus, wouldn't the insurance be cheaper as well? I got quoted at $292 a month for insurance on an 850 T-5, which is a major drag and huge drawback from me purchasing an 850 T-5 sedan.

I know how fast these cars can be, my father has a '97 850 R with an ECU upgrade and TME exhaust, and it is a blast to drive. Much more fun than my 240 DL, and way sportier as well.

Any body have any answers?

240MAN said:
So, I need a simple answer. Can all of these mods be performed on an 850 GLT? I know this is a n00bish question, but hey, I'm a Volvo n00b. :)

If these mods can be done, I think this would be a way better deal for a fast (faster?) car rather than saving up money for an 850 T-5 Turbo sedan. Plus, wouldn't the insurance be cheaper as well? I got quoted at $292 a month for insurance on an 850 T-5, which is a major drag and huge drawback from me purchasing an 850 T-5 sedan.

I know how fast these cars can be, my father has a '97 850 R with an ECU upgrade and TME exhaust, and it is a blast to drive. Much more fun than my 240 DL, and way sportier as well.

Any body have any answers?

If you have a 1997 GLT with the low pressure turbo engine, then yes the majority of the mods here will translate over to your setup... But you have a higher compression ratio and thinner cylinder walls so the margin for error in tuning is a bit narrower.

If you have a 93-96 GLT, then really the best option is to sell your car and get a T5. There are alternate plans for getting performance from those cars, but none will be as satisfying per dollar as acquiring a T5 to begin with and doing minor mods to that.

EricF said:
If you have a 1997 GLT with the low pressure turbo engine, then yes the majority of the mods here will translate over to your setup... But you have a higher compression ratio and thinner cylinder walls so the margin for error in tuning is a bit narrower.

If you have a 93-96 GLT, then really the best option is to sell your car and get a T5. There are alternate plans for getting performance from those cars, but none will be as satisfying per dollar as acquiring a T5 to begin with and doing minor mods to that.

Really, that is disappointing. I was hoping I'd be able to replace the stock turbo on the GLT with a more powerful one, and then be in for some fun. Guess it isn't that simple.

sure it is...if you have the elusive 97 GLT

you just have to be more careful with how well you tune it

its advised to get a t5 if you have an earlier GLT because well, NA sucks...mostly

Haha, awesome comment there at the end. I agree though, I love that rush you get driving when you floor it when you're packing a turbo. Really makes me wish I had a B230FT in my 240 DL, but I'd rather go for the newer models now.

^^ better for drag launches anyway, and easier on the driveline components

plus, kickdown is sweet if you have a built car (andy's will SMOKE them from a 50 roll sometimes)

Mods

Hi all, new here,

Ive been following this post for some time now. In light of the recent talk of 97'GLTs ive decided to post some of my plans, so please give me what advice you have.

Being in college Ive never had enough money to actually do what you were talking about though, but I took it upon myself to research my options so i could upgrade if i gathered enough cash.

Im taking some time off from college (a degree in medicine is a loooong journy, i want to make d*mn sure that its what i want to do before i head into 8more years of school) and I should have enough money due to a new job (though i dont like to count my chickens before they hatch....excuse the lame idiom). I came across a kit at ATPturbo.com for $1995.00 that includes the following:

Stage II Turbo Upgrade Kit with Garrett Turbocharger (GT or T series), Wastegate, Blow-Off Valve, and all installation hardware; i.e. flanges, adapters, fittings, steel braided lines, and coolant lines and fittings.

They said to expect the following:
Garrett GT or T-Series Turbocharger
· Improved Wastegate Design for stable boost
· Larger Compressor to support up to 400HP
· CNC Custom Components for ease of installation
· Stock Downpipe and Manifold
· Larger Injectors
· Blow-Off Valve

Is this a good deal?

I plan to replace the stock 97' 850GLT engine with that of either a 850R or T-5 of the same year (if at all possible....would it fit? idiot newbie question, i know) to avoid any issues with the higher boost on the thinner cylinder walls.

Im also going to take your advice on replacing the transmission, so i plan to drop the auto gearbox and replace it with the kit you recomended (M56H kit via Bill at adrenalineracing). I plan to put in a new cat-back exhaust system, replace all the tubing with the higher strength silicon, upgrade the downpipe, and also upgrade to 17" wheels (nothing rediculous though....NO CHROME).
Ive already replaced the intake kit with a C/A intake (via eurosporttuning) and have a ECU upgrade ready to purchase at eurosporttuning as well. Ive done what i can to replace the stage zero components: Ive replaced the spark plugs and wires, tested compression and replaced rack and pinion system (nasty leak for a while, had to fill the power steering fluid like every 2days) as well as replacing a cracked boot joint in the front right. Oil seems to be fine, as well as most of the tubing in the engine bay. I still need to replace the vacuum lines and the distributor cap and rotor.

tell me if im missing anything or if i need to consider anything else

PS
Something thats really important to me is to keep the car looking relatively stock. The most i would do to alter its appearance would be to tint the windows or get more defined 6 spoke rims.
I like the way it looks (Fire engine red with stock spoiler).

Last edited:
97GLT said:
Hi all, new here,

Ive been following this post for some time now. In light of the recent talk of 97'GLTs ive decided to post some of my plans, so please give me what advice you have.

Being in college Ive never had enough money to actually do what you were talking about though, but I took it upon myself to research my options so i could upgrade if i gathered enough cash.

Im taking some time off from college (a degree in medicine is a loooong journy, i want to make d*mn sure that its what i want to do before i head into 8more years of school) and I should have enough money due to a new job (though i dont like to count my chickens before they hatch....excuse the lame idiom). I came across a kit at ATPturbo.com for $1995.00 that includes the following:

Stage II Turbo Upgrade Kit with Garrett Turbocharger (GT or T series), Wastegate, Blow-Off Valve, and all installation hardware; i.e. flanges, adapters, fittings, steel braided lines, and coolant lines and fittings.

They said to expect the following:
Garrett GT or T-Series Turbocharger
? Improved Wastegate Design for stable boost
? Larger Compressor to support up to 400HP
? CNC Custom Components for ease of installation
? Stock Downpipe and Manifold
? Larger Injectors
? Blow-Off Valve

Is this a good deal?

I plan to replace the stock 97' 850GLT engine with that of either a 850R or T-5 of the same year (if at all possible....would it fit? idiot newbie question, i know) to avoid any issues with the higher boost on the thinner cylinder walls.

Im also going to take your advice on replacing the transmission, so i plan to drop the auto gearbox and replace it with the kit you recomended (M56H kit via Bill at adrenalineracing). I plan to put in a new cat-back exhaust system, replace all the tubing with the higher strength silicon, upgrade the downpipe, and also upgrade to 17" wheels (nothing rediculous though....NO CHROME).
Ive already replaced the intake kit with a C/A intake (via eurosporttuning) and have a ECU upgrade ready to purchase at eurosporttuning as well. Ive done what i can to replace the stage zero components: Ive replaced the spark plugs and wires, tested compression and replaced rack and pinion system (nasty leak for a while, had to fill the power steering fluid like every 2days) as well as replacing a cracked boot joint in the front right. Oil seems to be fine, as well as most of the tubing in the engine bay. I still need to replace the vacuum lines and the distributor cap and rotor.

tell me if im missing anything or if i need to consider anything else

PS
Something thats really important to me is to keep the car looking relatively stock. The most i would do to alter its appearance would be to tint the windows or get more defined 6 spoke rims.
I like the way it looks (Fire engine red with stock spoiler).

First off, I think ATP stopped making their kit for our cars... Development issues.

Second, I think for a stock block the ideal turbo is either the TD04HL-18T or the TD04HL-19T. The problem with these turbos is that you need an electronic boost controller with 3d capability (like an AVC-R) with them to have stable boost levels. However, they spool very very well, and will support as much power as the stock block can handle.

The two best parts about them are that there are off-the-shelf chip tuning options for them (best tuning being from Swedish companies probably, though I know Upsolute for one makes a 19T chip program), and the other best part is that they bolt up to the stock oil and water lines directly, requiring only that a newer downpipe designated for those turbos be used.

I would suggest a 3" downpipe and any high-flowing cat-back exhaust, with 350cc or 395cc ("white" or "blue," respectively) depending on your boost levels. With one of those turbos, the upgraded exhaust, and the upgraded software, you should be able to achieve 300 wheel horsepower with boost levels around 17-18 psi possibly.

As long as your automatic transmission is in good shape and you flush the fluid very regularly (an aftermarket transmission cooler allows you to change less frequently, and is a very very good idea).

As to the swapping engines bit... I think the engine in your car now is sufficient. The only reason I would pull it is if you decide to go to upgraded internals and/or rebuild. The high pressure turbo engine is essentially the same, but has shorter pistons (or maybe they just have a bigger dish?).

How frequent should the fluid be changed (if i buy a cooler)? Im not talking about building a racecar, just something that can beat most lightly tuned cars.

With the advice given in mind, what do you think about:

vptuning sells a TD04HL-19T Turbo for about $750, along with a set of "blue" injectors and either a supersprint exhaust from the same site, or a 2.5" system from eurosporttuning. Couple that with a 3" downpipe from eurosport, a chip from Upsolute, and a transmission fluid cooler.

97GLT said:
How frequent should the fluid be changed (if i buy a cooler)? Im not talking about building a racecar, just something that can beat most lightly tuned cars.

With the advice given in mind, what do you think about:

vptuning sells a TD04HL-19T Turbo for about $750, along with a set of "blue" injectors and either a supersprint exhaust from the same site, or a 2.5" system from eurosporttuning. Couple that with a 3" downpipe from eurosport, a chip from Upsolute, and a transmission fluid cooler.

That would be quite a nice setup... Just do not forget an electronic boost controller if you go with a 19T :)

I've heard people changing their fluid every 25-35k miles with a cooler. Really I'd play it by ear and check the condition of the fluid from time to time.

Also, make sure Upsolute knows you have a LPT model... I'm not sure if they have a 19T map for that engine or not. May have to go overseas, which isn't always bad (lots of people are of the opinion that the Scandinavian companies are the only ones who *truly* know what they are doing with chip tuning anyway).

i'd replace it personally. you shoudl be good with any turbo off a pre 96 850. shoudl be a td04hl-15g

the saab turbine inlet flange is different than yours. you could swap housings, but you can find used good quality 15gs for about $100 at a junkyard, or starting at ~$250 shipped here

Back