• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock six intake VVT control

Turbosundance, the range is, as far as I remember, 50? on the intake side and 30? on the exhaust side.

Moon_walk, the diagram describes only the CVVT (dual VVT) exhaust solenoid...this describes the intake one:
2099374949_b5553ae874_o.jpg

2100153870_88efda5f9f_o.jpg

2100153970_435ec94a9a_o.jpg

By the way, I have found nice table describing the VVT operation (not for Volvos, but doesn't really matter)
m15aVVT3.jpg

You won't produce very desirable results with an on/off switch on a continuously variable cam timing system. You want to use closed loop control with those systems. MS3X among others are capable of controlling those systems.

Honestly, if I would have to throw out the oem ECU and rewire that hell of wires to MS3 just because of the VVT, I would rather blank the whole VVT solenoid mechanism and use non-VVT intake cam from 960. Captain Bondo done that here, some comments to "what does this job include"?

EDIT: and also

I did not see any way of using different cams in a CVVT head. The area that provides the oiling is very different and will not work on the snout of a non CVVT cam.

the 960 cams need to be modified to fit the cvvt head, exactly as you describe - like i said, and alex is making a set for me - we can certainly do more.

Last edited:
As I wrote on the start of the topic, "My situation is, I have a 1994 960 with 2001 S80 3.0 engine, the ECU and all electrical stuff is original from 960". So the ECU doesn't know about VVT and there is no support for this..

We never got around to doing it but if you look - bondo showed a way to do it with some half moon shaped spacers. You just need to keep the cam from sliding forward iirc

As I wrote on the start of the topic, "My situation is, I have a 1994 960 with 2001 S80 3.0 engine, the ECU and all electrical stuff is original from 960". So the ECU doesn't know about VVT and there is no support for this..

I saw your PM so thought I'd just reply here.

The cylinder heads changed a lot over the years, so its hard to say what can be made to work with what. A some point they got solid lifters and at some point the whole base circle also changed.

You need to measure and compare the journal diameters, base circles, etc and see what's what.

That head has solid lifters pretty much for sure. I don't know what it'd take to keep them. Probably more effort than its worth.

Assuming the journal diameters work out I would swap the hydraulic lifters in and do a cursory check on valve clearance. If it seems reasonable then it'll be fairly obvious what needs done from there- you need spacers to keep the cams located axially and hub adapters.

As far as adapting VVT, it would be great if a set of cams existed that were worth controlling. If someone were to get some ground, it'd be a worthwhile exercise. Otherwise it's pointless from anything other than an emissions/mpg perspective.

Sorry, must have missed it in the Trainwreck of overthought in this thread. Pretty simple, either get rid of it or get a controller that supports it.

We never got around to doing it but if you look - bondo showed a way to do it with some half moon shaped spacers. You just need to keep the cam from sliding forward iirc
Half moon shaped spacers? Any weblink to this? I guess that if I will use the 960 intake cam with its original wheel, there is no more chance of movement of the cam, no?

gross polluter said:
Pretty simple, either get rid of it or get a controller that supports it.
Excellent idea, thanks :lol:
Another idea came to my mind, to swap the ECU from S80, but even in the first years (1999) it already used the CAN to communicate with all the stuff in the car, so it is not a route for me.
Had no time to try the effect of manual switching, maybe over the weekend, but according to your responses I will probably have to start looking for the 960 intake cam.

Last edited:
Half moon shaped spacers? Any weblink to this? I guess that if I will use the 960 intake cam with its original wheel, there is no more chance of movement of the cam, no?

Excellent idea, thanks :lol:
Another idea came to my mind, to swap the ECU from S80, but even in the first years (1999) it already used the CAN to communicate with all the stuff in the car, so it is not a route for me.
Had no time to try the effect of manual switching, maybe over the weekend, but according to your responses I will probably have to start looking for the 960 intake cam.

something quite often used here in sweden is using an exhaust vvt on the intake side

this makes the end to end span less just about half .. and it can be used by manual switching

something quite often used here in sweden is using an exhaust vvt on the intake side

this makes the end to end span less just about half .. and it can be used by manual switching

Definitely interesting! Any more info about that? And what about the "missing" range on both ends of the range?

By the way I have found this topic, where it is (from Cpt. Bondo) noted "non vvt late style cams will fit in a vvt head no problem assuming you have the solenoid ports blocked off." So the deal should be only about changing the lifters (if it differs), block the VVT ports and be done with it.

Definitely interesting! Any more info about that? And what about the "missing" range on both ends of the range?

By the way I have found this topic, where it is (from Cpt. Bondo) noted "non vvt late style cams will fit in a vvt head no problem assuming you have the solenoid ports blocked off." So the deal should be only about changing the lifters (if it differs), block the VVT ports and be done with it.

on my Engine a b6284t i still have hydraulic liffter not solid ones

there you can swap in for instance the n/a cams from the b6304s3 and

one can also using 2 non vvt cams from same generation and block the vvtsolenoid

for the b6294t use 2 intake cam and rotate exhaust 180* and for the b6304s3 use 2 exhaust cams and rotate the intake cam 180*

and use nonvvt camseal

So I checked my engine head, it is the one without hydraulic lifters (= with solid ones). So the cam swap would be more difficult than just about the cams.
I am unable to decide, help me with this guys...
- what will be a better performance option, swapped 960 camshaft with hydraulic lifters or S80 VVT camshaft with the exhaust solenoid controller and rpm on/off switch? Moonwalk, do you have some reference cars with that configuration?
- for me as an electronic geek, I know that the second option will be much simpler to implement for me, but how much more complicated will be the first option, to swap in the hydraulic lifters & camshaft etc? I know cpt.Bondo described what has to be done, but I have never done something like replacing solid lifters by hydraulic...will a good mechanic be able to do that? Or some professional machining is required?

So I checked my engine head, it is the one without hydraulic lifters (= with solid ones). So the cam swap would be more difficult than just about the cams.
I am unable to decide, help me with this guys...
- what will be a better performance option, swapped 960 camshaft with hydraulic lifters or S80 VVT camshaft with the exhaust solenoid controller and rpm on/off switch? Moonwalk, do you have some reference cars with that configuration?
- for me as an electronic geek, I know that the second option will be much simpler to implement for me, but how much more complicated will be the first option, to swap in the hydraulic lifters & camshaft etc? I know cpt.Bondo described what has to be done, but I have never done something like replacing solid lifters by hydraulic...will a good mechanic be able to do that? Or some professional machining is required?

if it's simply changing lifters it's as easy as lifting and swapping cams

Engines prior to 2001 used hydraulic all through as far as i know atleast the 6cylinder ones

one option is using old 960 head instead ? they all bolt up together

Well if the solid -> hydraulic lifters conversion is just about removing the old ones and inserting the new ones, that sounds simple.
I am sure I have the solid ones now, maybe it is engine model year 2002 (but made in 2001).
Swapping the whole 960 head is not a solution for me, as I have adopted the whole intake from S80 (that didn't fit the 960 head) and made a lot of other changes (water system, throttle body, cruise control, power steering etc..). And I also don't want the heavy octopus style intake. But I am still interested if you have some references to any engine build that has used the exhaust solenoid on intake camshaft, I have searched the web but I couldn't find anything relevant...

Well if the solid -> hydraulic lifters conversion is just about removing the old ones and inserting the new ones, that sounds simple.
I am sure I have the solid ones now, maybe it is engine model year 2002 (but made in 2001).
Swapping the whole 960 head is not a solution for me, as I have adopted the whole intake from S80 (that didn't fit the 960 head) and made a lot of other changes (water system, throttle body, cruise control, power steering etc..). And I also don't want the heavy octopus style intake. But I am still interested if you have some references to any engine build that has used the exhaust solenoid on intake camshaft, I have searched the web but I couldn't find anything relevant...

my friend that built an 850 for racing uses a new vvt style head and put an exhaust vvt on intake and put on / off switch on it.

he also shimmed the adjustment to get more narrow adjustment then simply using on / off switching with his haltech

And one more question - it has been mentioned, that when the solenoid is not driven, the timing of the camshaft will be loose - it will travel randomly based on oil pressure, temperature etc.
When I will mount the exhaust solenoid, I will want only the full_on/full_off positions. What does it mean for the controller? Because unpowered = random, so if I understand it correctly it means I have to connect one wire of the solenoid to solid + and switch the other one between the ground and +.

Last edited:
Back