• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

96' 850 (2.4L Non-Turbo) Dyno Pulls

LukeWoessner

8/10/19 Straight Pipe (w/ Cat) + IPD Filter

Low results... The dyno they use is an AWD Superflow WinDyn "Heartbreaker" style dyno (usually reads around 20% lower than a dynojet) that reads WHP. Put down a pretty terrible 61.6 WHP at 6000 rpm and 65 ft/lbs between 2500-5000 rpm. What I didn't know going in was that you are meant to run the car around for a while or warm it up on the dyno prior to making pulls. (Coolant was up to temp, but oil and transmission fluid weren't, increasing losses) Engine has good compression (around 190 psi on each cylinder), new-ish plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, etc. I'm going to do a full stage zero and put a muffler back on it. (Thinking the cat-only exhaust system may be a detriment to exhaust scavenging) Any other ideas tune up wise as to the cause of the low output?

https://youtu.be/cv7Zzu9lnDU

You mostly have a display of lazy dyno operators here. Essentially, they are adding in another differential, pair of wheels, and pair of dyno drums for your engine to move by not disconnecting the AWD rollers...lol. Lazy or incompetent...

lemme guess...subaru shop?

Just a wild guess, maybe it's averaging power output at the rollers (because AWD) and you're actually putting down twice that? Silly, but maybe believable.

Just a wild guess, maybe it's averaging power output at the rollers (because AWD) and you're actually putting down twice that? Silly, but maybe believable.

this is what I am thinking....I can't tell for sure from the superflow website, but I am almost thinking that it has dual strain gauges on the dyno and it adds together the outputs from them.

FWIW my 122 wagon made 150 at the tire with a '98 S70 n/a engine with 200k?? (who really knows) miles. You should be north of 100 easily.

Drive a quarter mile and check your trap speed. You should be able to get a ball park of your hp numbers to verify with.

lmao. both the car and the dyno should be "warmed up". If it's the first pulls of the day, various things need to get moved around a little, and for the car itself if it's not up to temperature that can affect power readings.

However, neither of those situations will cause what would normally be ~140whp to become 65 whp. Also, you'd know long before you hit the rollers if your 850 was only throwing down 65whp, when you couldn't merge with normal traffic.

Back