home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

i am getting a hotter ign box .. 6a .... i'm gonna see how it works this weekend iguess if i can find time to install it
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #27
Renny_D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof
i am getting a hotter ign box .. 6a .... i'm gonna see how it works this weekend iguess if i can find time to install it
Find the time. That fixed mine I was at 10s with the old amm but the 6a had no problem firing that mixture. I've backed my fuel pressure down to 36 and I'm right at mid 11s but I noticed that I get this weird dive right at the upper rpms and I drop down to the high 10s. LH2.4 weirdness I guess. I'm gonna try and back off fuel pressure a few more pounds and see if I can get it to even out in the 12s. BTW I just got my LC1 XD working today which is why I can now see all the weirdness of the stock LH. The one that is bugging me mostly now is the damn tip in lean ness when I first get on it unless I roll in really gently it goes to 16s before dropping down to the 11s. LH processor just to damn slow or bad enrichment settings. Fred says his chip cures this so I may be in on the next group buy for that. Anyway get the MSD box in and you'll be loving life. Then just pay attention to your cap and rotor

Renny
90 740 T with a dented S90 exterior and interior, front mount fleabay 24x12x3 almost bumper cooler, 3"inch exhaust, IPD springs, Bilstien HD, KG2T cam, LSD, MSD 6A, CFIs @ 46psi, 960 amm, SSautochrome flipped header and Holset hy35 goodness and extra hp in a gymbag.. - MS coming - never track run this year so no idea about the combo's power - dyno day to come.
Renny_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #28
ovlov760
Board Member

Is there any gas mileage increase from using the MSD box?
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #29
frpe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny_D
Find the time. That fixed mine I was at 10s with the old amm but the 6a had no problem firing that mixture. I've backed my fuel pressure down to 36 and I'm right at mid 11s but I noticed that I get this weird dive right at the upper rpms and I drop down to the high 10s. LH2.4 weirdness I guess. I'm gonna try and back off fuel pressure a few more pounds and see if I can get it to even out in the 12s. BTW I just got my LC1 XD working today which is why I can now see all the weirdness of the stock LH. The one that is bugging me mostly now is the damn tip in lean ness when I first get on it unless I roll in really gently it goes to 16s before dropping down to the 11s. LH processor just to damn slow or bad enrichment settings. Fred says his chip cures this so I may be in on the next group buy for that. Anyway get the MSD box in and you'll be loving life. Then just pay attention to your cap and rotor

Renny
Yes. Stock LH is weird, and lean as hell...

The fuel chip will set things right and correct the tip in issue and the other acceleration enrichment issues as well as fix the AFR´s so that they stay level throughout the range and don´t do any dips or peaks. That is why the fuel chip exists. Otherwise I would have only sold the EZK chip and asked everyone to raise the fuel pressure and/or get bigger injectors.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:19 AM   #30
nohbudi
Jesus Christ...

Ooo, I wouldn't mind hearing about how one uses an MSD box with EZK... I really tried to figure it out, with no luck.... The only thing I am sure of is that I would need the tach signal convertor.
nohbudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #31
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

from looking @ the wiring no cutting is going to be needed to be done ... everything should tap off stock parts just fine with the right connectors ... only splice is longer power wires that and i might splice the ign 12v from the pcv heater wire otherwise ... looks straight forward .. and if tach doesn't work i still have that tach adpater i got with the 6a
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #32
nohbudi
Jesus Christ...

Be careful about the +coil side wiring. On my old lh2.2 harness it was routed around to alot of other stuff for some reason, and the 450v output from the 6a = bad juju, so you might be inclined to isolate that specifically from the rest of the harness. Other than that, I guess it would work.

Quote:
from looking @ the wiring no cutting is going to be needed to be done ... everything should tap off stock parts just fine with the right connectors ... only splice is longer power wires that and i might splice the ign 12v from the pcv heater wire otherwise ... looks straight forward .. and if tach doesn't work i still have that tach adpater i got with the 6a
nohbudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #33
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Default msd wiring

The MSD instructions specifically state that no other wires but the orange and black from the MSD box are to goto the ignition coil. No matter what coil you use.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #34
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

plugged it all in ... started right up ... NO splicing is needed ... stock tach even seems to work .. i'll have to re cal the WB and let the ECU relearn things before i can go for a test drive but otherwise all works and no splice just put on connectors and push things together

pardon the mess

only odd thing was that my blue wire was hooked to the neg terminal ... which i think was wrong because the MSD dir says to hook the white wire to the stock neg side YET that wasn't the red/white signal wire so eh ... it works so i'm good
Old 06-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #35
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

ok well miss is there STILL with a 3 bar FPR and teh MSD .. so its nothing spark or fuel related ...

which means ... its an ECU issue . i have a feeling its my chiped ICU .. time to swap in stock and see what it does
Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #36
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

ok the more i drive the 3 bar the more the car acts the same

afr's are still low 10's most of the time with 38lb/hr injector setup ...

so i guess its not a rich misfire as it really does feel like an ECU cut(like i've said way back when but talked myself out of). i stil need to get some plugs in there with a larger gap and we'll see if the MSD helps with a larger gap 28 sound good or should i go larger?

i pulled my dizzy and installed a better shape cap and rotor along with used a 94' dizzy off a UK spec car which has a since hole vs a slot for the adjustment so the timing IS dead on.

guess i need to find some time to swap that ICU and see what happens as it almost does it a bit worse now ...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #37
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

told you the install would be easy. did you try tightening your gap after installing the msd? (how about opening it up? ) it sounds more and more strange, but I'm just curious.

how bout a different maf?

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #38
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

well with the stock AMM the cut was lower in the RPM ..as soon as teh 3" amm went in it moved it up to almost redline

and i'm stil running 24 gap gonna try 28 this week ifi can find time
Old 06-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #39
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
well with the stock AMM the cut was lower in the RPM ..as soon as teh 3" amm went in it moved it up to almost redline

and i'm stil running 24 gap gonna try 28 this week ifi can find time
fwiw i run 30...

I never got lh to run perfect with browntops... that was lh 2.2 though
PetesDustyVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #40
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesDustyVolvo
fwiw i run 30...

I never got lh to run perfect with browntops... that was lh 2.2 though

with a 6a box? only reason i ran such a small gap was i don't even remember now .. eh time to go bigger again

and 2.4 always ran great with BT"s ..... as it does now... its just this cut up top that is killing me
Old 06-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #41
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlot
You won't damage your engine with mixtures like that. I mean if you ran it that way for 10k miles maybe. I was running pig rich when terminal 11 kicks in. My AFR was around high 10-mid11 area and the engine really didn't like terminal 11 mod. Too much fuel.
Not to mention every chipped T5 seems to do the same. Hmmm chips = 100% duty cycle I guess

Mike, I agree, get a better ignition box in there. I used to have problems with the 242 along the same lines, finally cured it with the 7al2/Jacobs coil.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #42
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
Not to mention every chipped T5 seems to do the same. Hmmm chips = 100% duty cycle I guess

Mike, I agree, get a better ignition box in there. I used to have problems with the 242 along the same lines, finally cured it with the 7al2/Jacobs coil.

uh did you miss where i have a MSD 6a and blaster 2 coil? or are those not up to par to a car as slow as mine as i'm sure these are more than enough for the power i'm making
Old 06-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #43
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
uh did you miss where i have a MSD 6a and blaster 2 coil? or are those not up to par to a car as slow as mine as i'm sure these are more than enough for the power i'm making
I did damnit... jeeze :-p

Hey any word on that MAF?
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #44
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

on yours? calling supplier in a few

so just say it is having issues and see about exchanging for a bosch?

and the kicker is the cut mainlly only happens in 1st gear .. sometimes in 2nd ... when it cuts and comes back in power feels like it has gone up 10-20hp gain once it starts pulling again

and another kick in the nuts is if i floor it in 2nd gear and hold on till almost redline i get a check engine light and error code for TPS error( i have a feeling it is the 560 ECU+chip causing it as the 937+chip had no issues with this)

Last edited by thelostartof; 06-06-2006 at 01:50 PM..
Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #45
PetesDustyVolvo
one car, two bicycles

Quote:
with a 6a box? only reason i ran such a small gap was i don't even remember now .. eh time to go bigger again
nah stock 124 ignition module with a accell super coil
PetesDustyVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #46
Renny_D
Board Member

Quote:

and 2.4 always ran great with BT"s ..... as it does now... its just this cut up top that is killing me
Hey use your own diode trick, it's working for me. I've yet to see the engine go lean at WOT.

Now ported manifold and hopefully a few other changes may change that but for now the diode trick works.

Thanks
Renny
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #47
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

my engine is fat rich @ w0t even with the 3 bar so ... low 10's ... and it only cuts in first .. 2nd and 3rd are fine
Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #48
Renny_D
Board Member

Quote:
my engine is fat rich @ w0t even with the 3 bar so ... low 10's ... and it only cuts in first .. 2nd and 3rd are fine
So diode trick no worky?

The AMM and the diode seemed to solve my fuel cut???

Renny
Old 06-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #49
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

well i have yet to put the diode back in so ...i don't feel i need to as its a little different of a cut along with it only happens in 1st gear
Old 06-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #50
Renny_D
Board Member

Quote:
well i have yet to put the diode back in so ...i don't feel i need to as its a little different of a cut along with it only happens in 1st gear
So what do you think it is if it's not running off the map? Is this a Fred chip or the jpstyling one?

Renny