• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A short burst of my rear

do you mind me asking what is the point in going to duals?
Dual exhaust on a V8 sound so different from having them all merged into a single, it's like two different engines. Ian's 740 and my 240 both had identical displacement, compression ratio, and camshafts, and his single exhaust makes his car sound very smooth and mellow. My car had smaller heads and slightly smaller headers, plus the Megasquirt on a long-runner intake, and my car sounded lumpy, rumpy, and much more aggressive.

Adding a crossover pipe between banks can make an incredible difference too, and the style & location are just as important to the sound. A Mustang with an H pipe sounds totally different when it's under full steam than a Mustang with an X pipe. The H pipe sounds more like an old-school muscle car, while the X pipe sounds a bit more exotic. My car had the H pipe.

As far as performance goes, there's not much point provided they're sized similarly. A 2.5" dual exhaust has the cross-sectional area of a single 3.5". Sometimes a dual 2.5" exhaust can weigh less than a single 3.5" exhaust, and sometimes it's easier to route two smaller pipes than a big single pipe. Sometimes the big single pipe (and really big single muffler) will hang too low and affect ground clearance. Sometimes a big single cat and muffler will cost more than the smaller ones.

But it's most often all about the sound.

Duals in a 240 are very easy to do, provided you get rid of the underbody fuel pumps and have a dual-hump IPD rear bar. Duals in a 740 are much more difficult since there's really only one place to run the pipes, up the right side of the car.

Sweet car!

Here's a vid of Ian's 784 and my 284, both with 302 power. Him carb'd with dual 2.5" Flowmasters into a 3" Dynomax, and me Megasquirt thru dual 2.5" cats and dual 2.5" Magnaflows. This was the happiest day of my life with the V8 240... sad really.

http://members.shaw.ca/UglyDuck3/784-284/784-284.wmv

Not trying to steal your thunder... just sharing.

Thanks man! Both cars sounded beautiful. I enjoyed the little vid, I especially got a kick out of the kid yelling FWD. lol Dual exhaust and RWD FTW!

g@ttigang

G@tti, I think it sounds sweet even in the first vid. Everyone else probably doesnt have a sub hooked up. Definately a unique sound.

Yeah the sound you hear on the video doesn't represent what you really hear in person. The last 2 vids resembles somewhat close to the real sound maybe a tad louder with more cam. :cool:

g@ttigang

Took her out to the gas station and dumped $50 of premium. She just luvs to guzzle it up. :lol:

g@ttigang

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vid10.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/gattigang/DSCF0309.flv"></embed>

So enlighten me. What all does that wagon have goin' for it? Engine wise and such? I'm not familiar with it.

Not really sure what it has going on other than it was owned by Paul Newman himself and has a Buick Grand National V6 Turbo custom built by HESCO. You could do a search on the Buick Grand National and The HESCO company, I'm sure it will pull some info for you.

g@ttigang

That sounded just fine to me Gatti, albeit a little quiet for my tastes. I'm sure it's a lot better in person with some boost in her lungs.

Nice car Matt

As soon as I get the wiring demons in my 242 tamed, I'll post up a vid of what a Volvo is supposed to sound like. :-P

Back