• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Bus and her Interior Project

drPheta

Took out most of the interior to begin the interior project

The second coat of Cascade VB-1x is still curing, and once that's done I'm going to run the wires. I also have a few rolls of RAAMat and Ensolite foam on order. The Bus is coming along quite nicely.

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

IMG_6857.jpg

IMG_6858.jpg

More pictures of the 2nd coat curing.

IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6863.jpg

Just some initial observations. I've used 1/4 of the tub (5 gallon tub) for what you see there. Two coats on the trunk floor and cabin floor. One coat was also applied to the exposed roof areas (from the sunroof back). Also in those areas that are dry, you still hear the pinging/hollowness. The thickness of the application is between 1/32" - 1/16" in most spots, so I know I applied enough. That said, it does resonate differently from naked sheet metal, and I will be adding RAAMat and Ensolite foam.

Cool,

I always got the impression that all the noise in our 850 came from the poorly designed plastics? Do you think adding dampener to the metal is going to help?

Do it to the outside too and you'll have the "special-ed" blue bus. :rofl:

edit: blue bus.. anyone get that?? ohh damn the failure

Last edited:
My friend wants to cut me a cardboard stop sign to tape to the side. :lol:
Ben, from what I'm told, dampening material will greatly reduce the noise in our cars. I'll let you know as soon as I got everything in order.

Looks great I did that in my 850 wagon, Now I can see why some shop will charge an arm and a leg to do headliners... Keep up the good work.

Every 850 I've driven has pretty terrible dash rattles. I always thought of this as being more of a chassis stiffness and tons and tons of interior plastic issue. More the latter probably. They already seem fairly metal insulation riddled. Quieting the metal might make it almost more irritating, since now instead of hearing just more road howl, you might get to listen to everything squeak and shuffle around inside ever more acutely.
When I put a dash back together many moons ago, I glued weather stripping like substance to all of the joints. It didn't actually quiet the car much, but it did get rid of most all of the annoying creaks and rattles.

I am almost done doing the opposite...what you are doing is much prettier, however. Will be interesting to see how much louder my already loud 240 gets with almost no undercoating in the summer and no sound deadening.

Every 850 I've driven has pretty terrible dash rattles. I always thought of this as being more of a chassis stiffness and tons and tons of interior plastic issue. More the latter probably. They already seem fairly metal insulation riddled. Quieting the metal might make it almost more irritating, since now instead of hearing just more road howl, you might get to listen to everything squeak and shuffle around inside ever more acutely.
When I put a dash back together many moons ago, I glued weather stripping like substance to all of the joints. It didn't actually quiet the car much, but it did get rid of most all of the annoying creaks and rattles.

I am almost done doing the opposite...what you are doing is much prettier, however. Will be interesting to see how much louder my already loud 240 gets with almost no undercoating in the summer and no sound deadening.

It IS possible to make an 850 dash quiet. Start by checking the bolts at the firewall that hold the dash up. That and felt line every surface and they aren't bad.

UPDATE 4/25/2007:

The UPS guy dropped of some RAAMat and Ensolite for me today, so....

I did 1 layer of RAAMat on top of the Cascade VB-1X, then I put 1 layer of Ensolite foam over that. The same was done to the roof, and the cabin floor.
IMG_7020.jpg

IMG_7021.jpg

The black suede cargo area looks A LOT better in person. I'm glad I did it.
IMG_7022.jpg

IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7024.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

Next up is the doors and the sound setup. This is taking way too long to do.

I'm also diggin the two tone roof. I may (if I get lucky) swap out to gray V70 trim pieces... but this is kinda cool for now.

Back