• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oops, tires too big, or are they?

Natural244

F1 Junkie!
So I have installed 225/50 15 Michelins on my 940 with the new BBS rims (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=98794).
Well turns out after installing the lowering springs the tires are a little too close to the fender lip and was rubbing when I went over some pavement uneveness. This happened mostly at higher speeds when the car would compress from "whoopdies" in the road. So I did some research here on the board about fender lip rolling and when at it. Good news is that I fixed the issue and now have no clearance problems. So here is a pictorial of the process:

First, the "tool" is a section of fence post that is 2 3/4" in diameter -
tool.jpg

Here is a picture of the clearance problem before the rolling -
clearance_before.jpg

Here is the removal of the inner fender liner -
ready.jpg

Here the "tool" is positioned between the tire and the fender -
go.jpg

Now I had my son roll the car (it was on a slight incline) while I guided the "tool" and asserted the pressure and angle to bend the lip. I did this about 4-5 times on each side. I would start at the beginning of the wheel arch and work all the way around to the end. Here
are the results:

clearance_after.jpg

clearance_after2.jpg

So now I'm happy that I'm not going to slice my new Michelins to shreds. BTW this toolk me about 30 minutes to do.

-Tim

Must be the width of those rims or something, I wouldn't expect that size tire to rub.

What's the story on the rear muffler exhaust tip? I kinda like that.

I have some polished stainless steel "DTM" tips like that at work. PM me if you want a set. They are 1 inlet 2 outlets.

sean

How much lower are your new springs to stock... but damn your car looks sexy!

Doesn't that say 16" on your tire. . .not 15 ? ?
Snagged a set of 6 BBS 16x7.5 rims with 5x108 and rwd offset (the ad said they fit rwd Volvos). 2 of the rims look brand new, the others have some minor curb rash. I think they will look sharp with the blue/green paint of the car. FWIW I got them off eBay:

Must be the width of those rims or something, I wouldn't expect that size tire to rub.

What's the story on the rear muffler exhaust tip? I kinda like that.

Like I said the tires are actually 225/50 16s and the rim width is 7.5. The exhaust is a Magnaflow DTM. As you can see in the picture it is not welded on but "adapted" with u bolts. I like the exhaust alot, it sounds nice.

I am running 225s with TME springs and added 10mm spacers in the rear and I do not have rubbing issues at all. I put them on Hydras so I am not sure if the offset is different. An adjustable pan hard will solve your problem of the rear being further to the drivers side.

Back