home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Matt86
Board Member

Default 1996 960 Money Pit Luxocruiser Project

Back in November last year, I sold my perfect running 98 S70 base M56, and bought this tired and tattered 1-owner 96' 960 for cheap, but I didn't realize that it was on life support, despite being a well maintained car.

234,000 miles was all the head gasket could stand:

Got that all back together with new exhaust valves, all the timing stuff, new plugs, and other things. Running as sweet as a nut. Two days later the PNP switch failed, replaced that along with the fuel level sending unit, front struts, front brake pads & rotors, brake flex lines, and plenty of other little things. Nursed fully back to heath, I decided to focus some attention to the cosmetics. I picked up a 98 S90 parts car for $250 that had brand new tires on it-which went on my V70R, and a very decent S90 Leather and Suede interior that I swapped in.

The clear coat on the top surfaces was fried from 21 years of Georgia sun. I had it resprayed, not a concours grade job but for the price it's a good 10 footer, even a 5-footer. Also had them paint a factory rear spoiler I found at Pull-a-Part and threw it on there, gives it a little less country club, more night club look.

I'm still happy with the car, these 960's are so silky on the highway and around town, a great commuter when I don't have to fix anything annoying. This car is so quiet compared to my V70R and 245. I like these old man cars, having once owned a 1990 Chrysler Imperial .
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

The 960s can definitely require some maintenance as they are easy to neglect but they drive a lot nicer than any p80 imo.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote