• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MAD740 Turbo Cruiser Project.

YLD244

YLD244 has a new cousin to keep her company.
Since the Cops dont like YLD244 and are doing their beset to keep it off the road with defects, I decided to purchase this nice neat '89 740 from TB member disco inferno.

It wasnt running, but i soon fixed that.

mods include:
- IPD turbo cam
- Big Ebay intercooler
- 3" exhaust with high flow cat
- Koni Yellows
- King Lowering springs
- big Tranny cooler

anyway here are the pics of when i picked it up:

MAD740_001.jpg

MAD740_002.jpg

MAD740_004.jpg

MAD740_005.jpg

plenty more updates to follow.

The 1st thing i did was give the car a good wash and a a polish with sonax 2 in 1.

MAD740_016.jpg

MAD740_021.jpg

Made a huge difference.
she is looking great now, but will look even better.

The clear had started to go dry and peel off the cowl panel so i decided to take car of that!!

before:
MAD740_019.jpg

primed ready for paint, waiting for a sunny day, as weather has been crap lately.

MAD740_024.jpg

All done!!

MAD740_035.jpg

MAD740_036.jpg

The rear spoiler also wasnt 100% so i had to take care of that.

Before, clear all dried out, miscellaneous feline scratches LOL:

MAD740_020.jpg

prepped, ready for primer:

MAD740_037.jpg

primed:

MAD740_038.jpg

MAD740_040.jpg

MAD740_041.jpg

Finished:

MAD740_042.jpg

MAD740_043.jpg

MAD740_044.jpg

MAD740_045.jpg

came out great. colour match was perfect, very happy with how the guy matched the paint.
will look even better when i buff it i reckon.

Nice paint work! You sure make it look easy. Did ya do it with a spray gun / air compressor? Who did ya get the paint from? Came out great.

Congrats on the car, sure looks sharp. I wish mine had the older taillights / center piece.

Nice paint work! You sure make it look easy. Did ya do it with a spray gun / air compressor? Who did ya get the paint from? Came out great.

Congrats on the car, sure looks sharp. I wish mine had the older taillights / center piece.

this is the spraygun i use for everything:

AJstuff_027.jpg

this is the compressor i use:

AJstuff_028.jpg

its home made, and features: a Volvo 244 York upright AC compressor, some 2850rpm electric motor my dad found from a lathe, dual water/air separators/driers, Huge tank. Does the job great!

Great work, on the paint work!
Want to do mine, the local spray painter won't touch it, he said it's not mean't to be painted, what a joke.:-P
What car's disc driving now?
Give me a shout if you need anything, I have plenty of 740 gear.

Looks nice man! how long do you think it'll be before you cant resist going nuts on the donk? The Sonax stuff is good, i changed to Meguires ColourX. Its alot easier to apply and remove. Gave a better finish IMO. What are the specs of the compressor. Im looking to get one, and not sure on direction.

Looks nice, but you did say "lowering" springs didn't you, because if that's the case, the next time I think i'm going to be run over by a 7 series i'll just bend my knees slightly and it should just pass right over the top?

thats one cool air compressor. looking good mate.

Looks nice, but you did say "lowering" springs didn't you, because if that's the case, the next time I think i'm going to be run over by a 7 series i'll just bend my knees slightly and it should just pass right over the top?

Yeah the King springs they sell for 740's dont lower them much at all

Nice Marc, anything owned by you is going to be a 5+ star worthy thread.

The original owner did some front end weight reduction, but yeah the local King Springs don't lower much, you get an ok rate, but maybe 10mm lower on a turbo spec 700.

What's with the coppers hatin' on the 244?

Australian road rules are so stupid with regards to modifications.

YLD244 has been defected for:

- non factory wheels
- worn tires
- non factory sparco race seats
- no H pattern on gear knob
- pod filter
- catch can
- engine management system
- steering wheel not factory

cops are retards in this area.

Today i fixed the leaky water pump with a seal kit. So happy there are no leaks now with that as it was making a mess.
I also mounted the intercooler, radiator and tranny cooler more securely, as well as many other little things that needed tidying up.

next job is changing the #4 freeze plug on intake side. Got some new plugs and some Stag Sealant to do the job.
Should be interesting, as i gotta pull of the breather box and lots of other stuff. Hopefully all will go well.

Australian road rules are so stupid with regards to modifications.

YLD244 has been defected for:

- non factory wheels
- worn tires
- non factory sparco race seats
- no H pattern on gear knob
- pod filter
- catch can
- engine management system
- steering wheel not factory

cops are retards in this area.

They pick on some stupid thgings.
I can understand the rules on the seats because some people mount them very poorly
Im sure your seats are fitted safely.
All these things are more reasons the early cars a good to mod because they are pre-compliance plates and the rules are much,much more free

Back