• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Steps for pulling an AW71

Sir Psycho

holstrich 2.0
A 1995 940 showed up at the yard and I need its transmission. I'm pretty sure turbo or non-turbo doesn't matter and it should be an AW71L?

What tools do I need to bring with me? I plan on taking the torque converter with it as well.

I haven't had much luck finding a step-by-step for pulling an autobox.

14mm bolts on the mustache bar (lower cover), mix of 18 and 19mm bolts on the bellhousing. helps to have a long extension for this. 13mm on the shift selector. 17 and 15mm for the driveshaft bolts, 12mm for the center support (to help get **** out of the way).

converter bolts are 16 or 17mm kinda depends.

oh and don't forget the kickdown cable. 13mm there too.

Basically bring your wrenches and sockets from 12-19mm. +1 to bring a long extension. Takes about an hour at most to remove. Kenny gave a good breakdown. :nod:

bell housing is held on with 18mm bolts and 19mm, but that's all I remember I was able to do the job with a basic 10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19 socket set along with a metric wrench set but had to buy the 18mm socket for the bell housing bolts. I don't think a 16 was needed. I also have a set of offset box wrenches that I bought around the same time but I can't remember if I needed them. If I did it was for the torque converter or something between the engine and the transmission...

I know there is a step by step somewhere that I followed when I did my rear main last year. I'll see if i can find it.

There's no way of reading what the stall speed of the torque converter is there? I remember discussing this with thelostartof years ago. My stall speed is only 1700 rpm which seems to be in the low range compared to other AW71s, so I plan on keeping the converter with whatever stall speed it comes with.

A 1995 940 showed up at the yard and I need its transmission. I'm pretty sure turbo or non-turbo doesn't matter and it should be an AW71L?

What tools do I need to bring with me? I plan on taking the torque converter with it as well.

This was not in a yard, but on a garage floor in Minnesota -- maybe you saw Joe's write-up before on my web page. The warning to disconnect the kd cable reminded me of this one.

Is the removable doable without a jack and two people in the yard?

Yes, I've done it solo before.

When I got it loose, I made a pile of assorted parts that were just laying around (a couple wheels & tires lined up with a door on top - interior side up with the panel removed, and some bunched up trunk carpeting covering it) to build a landing pad and I pushed it out from the front so it landed in the recessed area of the door. Than I slowly removed each wheel out until the door was sitting on the ground so I could drag it out nice and smooth on the exterior side of the door

Last edited:

This should do everything needed to get it out..
And quickly, too.

Wear ear protection!
apc-h_167989_b.jpg

Step 1: check the gas
Step 2: let 'er rip!:oogle:

Quick. Thy have a 95 turbo with a 71 and 250k miles And a 94 n/a with a 71L and 190k miles. Which should I get assuming the fluid looks good in both.

Get the AW71L with the torque converter!! Especially if it's from a crashed car.

If you're planning on using the tq converter from your old AW71 and using it on the AW71L, you're not going to have lock up capability.
Do the accumulator mod before putting the new trans in.

It might also help to put the donor engine at tdc compression on #1. I believe the transmission pump is timed and this will help keep you from destroying the pump on installation. Make temporary marks to remind you where things should be, go slowly it shouldn't take much effort.

Get the AW71L with the torque converter!! Especially if it's from a crashed car.

If you're planning on using the tq converter from your old AW71 and using it on the AW71L, you're not going to have lock up capability.
Do the accumulator mod before putting the new trans in.

if he's planning to do this, he's planning to fail, the converters DO NOT INTERCHANGE between lockup and non lockup.

Got the AW71L and its torque converter. I searched while at the junkyard and saw linuxman has posted in every thread about this topic that they do not interchange ;-). I'm planning on replacing some seals and doing the accumulator mod and dropping it in soon.

So is lock up completely mechanical? One thread I found stated the 71L had an extra wire that needed to be run to the instrument cluster to get the lock up to function but I found no such wire.

no it's fully mechanical. it'll lock up around 45mph in OD iirc, depending on correct kickdown tension.

Back