• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternator/charging

Sure seems like things are doing well. Yet still a low voltage? How about the meter you are using? Does it have a new battery? May be a good time to verify with another voltmeter just to be sure it is accurate.

Belts were definitely slipping... I have a Craftsman Multimeter, interior gauge and harbor freight meter. They read within .1volts of eachother. I tighten the belt and now it drops to 13.3 volts instead of 11.6. I put a mark on both belts and they are not even anymore before I tightened the belt.. I just ordered some new belts. The crank pulley outer section did not rotate from the center section.

I guess what I had was a loose glazed belts and a worn out positive cable to the alternator and alternator to alternator. Thanks for all your help guys. The belt probably got oil on it from the old catch can location at some point which probably didn't help.

I replaced the positive wire from the battery to the alternator which is all 4 ga now. I put in new sections of wire for the exciter and oil pressure switch. I guess new belts will be installed next weekend.

So at 750 rpm my voltage is 14.0 at the battery and 13.0 loaded.
1000 rpm my voltage is 14.0 and 13.6 volts loaded at 1000 rpm.

2000plus rpm gains .2 volts more loaded and I'm seeing about a .1 volt difference at the alternator.

How does these numbers sound?

How wide is the alternator belt? 11 mm belts are too narrow. Wider 11.9 mm belts are available.

It's a 10x920 belt by continental.

So 10mm

The widest I saw in rockauto that was specified for that application was 11.1mm. How do you usually buy them? Do you specifically ask for a certain dimension when you goto the parts store. Looks like 10mm was a fairly standard width online for the alternator belt.

Last edited:
Back