• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 940 T trans flush, is dex/merc ok?

ktm450

I am just getting ready to do the flush, and the wife comes home with Castrol dex/merc. That is all they have now at the local wallymart, no dex3. I seem to remember them coming out with this combo as the only option. Is this ok for my auto trans?

I use regular Valvoline dex/merc ATF for my AW70.
There is a reason I don't use synthetic in the A/T.

12 quarts, 1-2 quart at the time flush through radiator. Also draining through pan plug is good too to start with, so get all the crap from bottom.

I put 5 gallons through my 4 runner after dropping the pan and changing the filter. I kept flushing until it came out purty red though took almost all of 5 gallons.

3 gallons is fine, so is dex/merc.

Suggestion if it is a new to you ride. Run the cgeap stuff thru until it comes out clean, drive it a week, flush with the castrol, drive a month, flush again, call it good.

Suggest the IPD flush kit.... mine has served well, price is not obscene and includes instructions!

2nd what Gary said.... flush with the cheapo, drive her a week, flush to the best. ATF is not a place to pinch pennies, unless you enjoy wrestling transmissions in/out........

Suggest the IPD flush kit.... mine has served well, price is not obscene and includes instructions!

2nd what Gary said.... flush with the cheapo, drive her a week, flush to the best. ATF is not a place to pinch pennies, unless you enjoy wrestling transmissions in/out........
Just cut the end off of a transmission line on a 2/7/9.
Get 4 feet of vinyl tubing and clamp it onto the tranny line ya cut off....diy and done.

Posted via Mobile Device

Was that a serious suggestion?

I have a feeling prices on crack dropped recently as I can see some outstanding posts on TB.
I think guy meant a short version of how to fix leaky trans cooling line, out of nowhere.

Everything was said here and everywhere else about flush. OP can proceed.

Was that a serious suggestion?

I have a feeling prices on crack dropped recently as I can see some outstanding posts on TB.
I think guy meant a short version of how to fix leaky trans cooling line, out of nowhere.

Everything was said here and everywhere else about flush. OP can proceed.

There is nothing wrong with said suggestion

I have a feeling that the prices on smug are down

My mechanics usually tell me on my 92 960 to never flush the transmission, only drain and refill. Something about the gear filings are now an integral part of the transmission and cleaning them out will mean the gears won’t be happy?

Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
My mechanics usually tell me on my 92 960 to never flush the transmission, only drain and refill. Something about the gear filings are now an integral part of the transmission and cleaning them out will mean the gears won?t be happy?

Does hat make any sense?

if your transmission is so bad that a flush will kill it, it is about to die anyway

My mechanics usually tell me on my 92 960 to never flush the transmission, only drain and refill. Something about the gear filings are now an integral part of the transmission and cleaning them out will mean the gears won?t be happy?

Does hat make any sense?
It does if there's a lot of miles. Flush is fine. Changing the filter or cleaning the screen may kill it faster if high mileage. I didn't change mine, but I did flush.

Back