• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about exhaust

harry124

Two years ago the under-axle pipe on my exhaust snapped. I bought a brand new cat-back exhaust from fcpgroton. Last night I arrive at my girlfriends house after driving for around an hour or so and the exhaust is shorn off at the second muffler, where the under-axle pipe meets the second muffler.

Question is, is it common for something like this to just fail after 2 years, because I'm not really into replacing the exhaust every 2 years. Also, would it be better to just try and weld the pipe back to the side of the 2nd muffler?

harry124 said:
Two years ago the under-axle pipe on my exhaust snapped. I bought a brand new cat-back exhaust from fcpgroton. Last night I arrive at my girlfriends house after driving for around an hour or so and the exhaust is shorn off at the second muffler, where the under-axle pipe meets the second muffler.

Question is, is it common for something like this to just fail after 2 years, because I'm not really into replacing the exhaust every 2 years. Also, would it be better to just try and weld the pipe back to the side of the 2nd muffler?

The exhaust should last longer than that. It sound like it could have been a faulty weld from the manufacture. If I were you I would weld it back up and call it sweet! Also check to see that both mufflers are mounted with the rubber isolators in place.

If you normally drive less than 5 miles the condensation and road salt will severely shorten the life of an exhaust system. Longer drives heat it up and dry it out. It is part of the price of living in New England.

Back