• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo AQ171 info...

Chad242ti

Wookies R Us
Hey guys, I thought I would share some stuff I found recently... The Volvo Penta AQ171 is a 2.5L DOHC boat engine. Here's a PDF file that list many of the parts for it...

http://www.lidingomarin.se/pdf/Volvo/SECTION 03.PDF

Also note that the AQ171 was known as the 251A as well...

I thought this might be a helpful bit a of info for some of our crazier guys... I'm still thinking a 2.5L turbo 16V would be lots of fun. There are a couple of us t-brickers that are already involved in building this motor...

Also the pdf contains part numbers for both the V and A cams, as well as lots of other intersting tidbits...

251 is some sort of similar engine with a 16valve head
I've never seen an aq251 but it appears to be a 16valve of some sort. the 251 was the same year as the AQ171A but shares parts with the AQ171C, perhaps it was the AQ171C before it was renamed to that?
*EDIT* Perhaps if I found my Volvo Penta repair manual it would tell me....

Okay, what would it take to make this a sticky subject? I think that there is quite a bit of valuable information that could be gained here if we stick to it. I believe that there are a number of people on this list (including myself) who would be interested in adapting the "marine grade" Penta stuff onto our performance motors. I would love to stuff a stroker crank into my project motor I have going. I would love to look into other parts that might just bolt in with minor modification that might provide more durability and reliability.

Please keep this thread open, and lets see what we can find out about cranks, rods, pistons, heads, cams, oil pumps, and any other goodies that we can source to fit our cars. Let the findings continue!!!!

Regards,

I think the only thing keeping a lot more people from doing this kind of engine buildup is sources. If we could just find a semi-reliable mehtod of obtainin these parts, it would definitly be more popular...ive yet to see a boat junkyard tho........

We'll see. Next weekend I am going to go and talk to some friends in the sterndrive business that work on Volvo Penta's and see what kind of sources I can get. I think I can find atleast a few aq171's

I've got another question....Since the aq171c is a stroked b230, and the aq171a was something similar but before it, any chances its perhaps a stroked b23f block?

What are the drawbacks of going with the 2.5L?

A boat mechanic I talked to said the 2.5L would ping like a mofo.

Do you have to use the entire engine or will just the crank work on the b230? What about the head? Will the b230 head work on the marine bottom end.

The mechanic said that the boat engines are set up for low end torque, but car engines are desgined to have a bigger power range.

Dont get me worng, i want the 2.5. I was on the phone with a guy today regarding the 3.0 four cyl volvo (chevy). :twisted:

Not sure what he meant by pinging... 2.5L is considered the max size for a 4 cylinder I have read. Get lots of vibration or something the larger they get. Perhaps he meant that.

Main thing with a marine engine is that they are under constant load. No gears...?

The 2.5L penta engines are not considered big or powerful in the boat world though. Just very reliable.

From what I understand there aren't any downsides really. Maybe that you would need megasquirt or something to manage it??

Boosted2003 said:
[quote:7d8b13cc13="ravennexus"]the porsche 968 got upto 3L but i think they were running balance shafts like the B234F to cancel out the vibration

yeah but if u balance and blue print it wont have much trouble after every done corectly[/quote:7d8b13cc13]

You can't eliminate all significant vibration sources in an inline four engine without balance shafts even if the engine is perfectly "blueprinted and balanced". The 968 uses the Mitsubshi-patented twin balance shaft system.

RT

I dont get it.... the engine looks exactly the same with different add ons... wouldn't you be able to just get that engine and put all the pullies, pumps, intake/exhaust, ms, clutch/flywheel stuff and mounts for a normal car and just use the penta? wouldnt that make it easier instead of rebuilds?

I wish I knew were to get this stuff second hand in south aus :p

Back