• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 M47 Drivetrain

The bmw guibos are the same unless you order the M5 racing bmw guibo. It is a wee bit thicker stronger. Will probably still work also people have used them on volvos. All the other regular bmw guibos are the exact same size as the volvo ones. Thickness. In the past the stock volvo guibo's and the bmw ones are the same but they did look a little bit different in the moldings of them. But dimensionally they are the same. Who knows what they are selling nowdays new for guibos. I don't, but I've used both types in the past BMW and volvo and they both fit perfect and work if you install them correctly is the trick. The bolts have to be inserted the right way with the nuts on the other side should be arrows on the guibo to know which way the bolts go. Three one way, other three the other way.

Okay so the bmw guibo that otto referenced and I bought finally came in.

THE ONLY difference is that the center opening that goes onto the shaft is a wee bit bigger. The bolt patterns line up the same. The guibo is bolted and secured to the 6 bolts, so honestly i dont believe the bigger center opening will cause any issues. The smaller one wasnt snugg on the center shaft guibo opening anyway

So UPDATE...

The last few days of work was okay, but the results are so so. The drivetrain feels a lot more solid but now I have an unbalanced vibration that I didn’t have before.

Im not new to drivetrain work. I made sure the drivetrain arrows were together. Im also pretty sure I installed the guibo correctly.

I almost wonder if the larger center hole of the bmw guibo is causing the imbalance. So pretty much a fail, not totally but doing all that work and having to re-do it all is a pain.

I also didn’t spend $70 on the guibo for next day shipping to deal with this. Ive already missed work and school this week so idk im going to have to drive it as it is until I can get it figured out

I've used BMW Giubo on Volvo 240 and never had an issue.

I know you've covered a lot

* possible a balance weight on driveshaft section fell off ?
* pretty sure you said torque rod bushings, and trans mount, trailing arm bushings are ok ?
* make sure to always cross reference parts numbers, but those 2 models do share the Giubo(except where Sbabbs pointed out the Giubo for an M5), also the difference hole is something I've noticed from maker but never been an issue.

Back