• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Good job on that trans crossmember

/s?

It's not pretty, but I spent some time filing and cleaning up the cuts, and making sure that nothing was even enough for weld to fill.

I love Josh. This is probably the first product that I feel is not up to par in terms of fit. The build quality is superb at least.

Progress was hampered somewhat by the stripping of a trans cross member captive nut and the lack thereof on the front mounting positions. Solved the stripped nut issue by drilling and tapping it to 7/16"-20 and adding rivet nuts to the front locations. Once this was done, I installed a freshly clearanced Yoshifab cross member and bolted the exhaust in place, then took it on a half-block test drive as it was 4:00 AM and I was tired. Coincidentally, it has been exactly a month since I last drove it. Pretty happy with how much I was able to get done in that time frame!

m71gO8Gh.jpg

IqCB3UPh.jpg

8QMNSnnh.jpg

lV1Dgdrh.jpg

hXeTb3zh.jpg

Lb78mcph.jpg

7l7o3IMh.jpg

jPFOP0Ph.jpg

Then I decided doing the engine swap, second trans tear-down, heater panel fix, fuel tank, fuel pump, and a myriad of other little bits and bobs were not quite enough of a hassle. I mean, I re-routed my oil lines already, may as well...

2XUDaZoh.jpg

MFTkpzfh.jpg

It'll be good once I straighten that damn headlamp.

AND DO</a>NE

MI4Bq4Rh.jpg

Wait, no I'm not...

3aklQ0Qh.jpg

Got caught at car's and coffee. This thing runs so damn well.

17632303_10155725895112137_6049234550689858485_o.jpg

I also hope I can get my fender and gas cap back from Bergen soon.

So far not bad for a bigger ebay turbo (50mm ind/76mm exducer vs 46/60 on the GTX) and boost control disabled. It pulls way better on the freeway in 3rd or 4th.

The GTX would have been amazeballs with this engine :-(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h72qoJwp5kA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So far not bad for a bigger ebay turbo (50mm ind/76mm exducer vs 46/60 on the GTX) and boost control disabled. It pulls way better on the freeway in 3rd or 4th.

The GTX would have been amazeballs with this engine :-(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h72qoJwp5kA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well you have a 100 dollar turbo that works vs a 1k plus turbo that broken. Sounds like a win win to me

I called them to check about a compressor wheel that actually matches. They have a copycat GTX2860 with the correct size compressor wheel and cover, if the numbers are anything to go by. The standalone compressor wheel they sell for the GTX2860 has an inducer tip that is about 4.1mm too narrow, so that won't work.

Then there is the issue of balance. Some say BB turbos are more tolerant of it, some say they are significantly less, comparing to journal bearing turbos.

As far as the turbo shop that told me they could do BB turbos? Yeah, they don't touch Garretts.

I was late to this discussion apparently. If you keep the oil clean and happy and the turbo nice and cool, ball bearings can tolerate quite a bit of abuse. If you have a way to swap on a new compressor wheel & matching housing and get the CHRA low-speed balanced, then go for it. Just make sure they (whoever "they" are) take some extra time balancing the compressor wheel on its own first. Get it as close to zero residual imbalance as possible. Then pop it in an oven at around 300F for 15 minutes and it should slide right on the shaft (assuming the wheel was made with an interference fit at the bore as it should be). Let it cool, install locknut and torque. I can get you a ballpark spec if you want. Check low-speed CHRA balance and run it if it's in the ballpark. No need for high-speed / VSR if you don't care about noise.

Nice job getting the thing up and running again BTW; looks great with the e-codes!

Back