• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Special tool for pulleys

hessam69

Hi,

What is the special tool required when removing and installing the auxiliary shaft pulley and camshaft pulley?

I already have the special tool for the crankshaft pulley.

Shouldn’t these just come right off? I have never used a tool to remove them after busting the bolt loose.

The correct tool for busting them loose is an impact wrench by the way.

We use a tool like this to hold the cam gear when torquing the cam and aux shaft bolts.

YA4660.jpg

Sure impact is great for removing stuff. But you need something to hold it when torqueing the bolt to the 36ftlb it is supposed to be. Other wise it could be overtightened and in extreme instances it can damage or even ruin the cam or IMS.

So at least get one of the suggested tools to help have a happy reassembly.

Sure impact is great for removing stuff. But you need something to hold it when torqueing the bolt to the 36ftlb it is supposed to be. Other wise it could be overtightened and in extreme instances it can damage or even ruin the cam or IMS.

This is probably true, but having done 15+ in the past couple years, I have a calibrated impact wrench and x amount of dugga duggas gets her done. No come backs yet, and LOTS of miles logged:nod:

FWIW, my iPd crank holding tool also holds the cam gear and aux gear because the spacing is the same. However I?ve noticed this isn?t always the case on older cars aux shafts

I use the holding tool from IPD along with an impact wrench. Works just fine and is a worthwhile investment IMO.

Remember this is tb. People are going to choose the path of least resistance. It's quite possible the bolt will break and then the cam or IMS will need replacing. :lol:

Remember this is tb. People are going to choose the path of least resistance. It's quite possible the bolt will break and then the cam or IMS will need replacing. :lol:

My impact has a maximum of 140-160 ft-lbs i think, i really don?t think it has enough torque to snap that hardened bolt, but I never even go until it stops anyway. I just blip it a few times.

Take an extra few minutes to torque to a specific number. it's one of the locations on the engine that should be.

+1 on that. Years ago we were warned to never tighten cam bolts with impact because people had broken off the ends of cams that way. This was on pushrod Volvo's.

Edit: those have threaded ends and a nut. Could be a different outlook for breakage.

Last edited:
Back