• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vol242vo's 1980 Cali White 1 Owner 242

Excited for the Amazon!
I'd recommend something a little more robust than an M40, T5 swaps are doable with the engine upright.

A M410 would also handle the power... Think it was mentioned on the old mailing list that the M410 was stronger than the M90.

A M410 would also handle the power... Think it was mentioned on the old mailing list that the M410 was stronger than the M90.

I read somewhere that the M400/410 was supposedly designed by Getrag for Volvo. They are stupidly hard to find though. Not B20 M46 bellhousing rare but still rare. I saw one M400 show up near me on craigslist, it was gone within a couple hours.

The M40 would probably blow up with a B230FT given that Volvo stuck the M410 behind some B20Es until they revised the M41.

It should also fit in the tunnel without chopping it up. Unless the Amazon was swapped from an automatic transmission it'll have the skinny transmission tunnel.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s a manual tranny car and I’ll look for better options after all your knowledge here. I really don’t know much about the m40 or m410

M400/M410 were built by ZF. The M50/51 trannies used in the 1975 Euro 260 series and in the Group A cars were Getrag boxes. The M45/46/47 are a combination of the M40/41 and the M400/410, from what I've read. Alas, it seems that when they built those boxes, they used the M40/41 style gears, strength-wise.

Yeah it’s a manual tranny car and I’ll look for better options after all your knowledge here. I really don’t know much about the m40 or m410

Find a junk 240 to cut the transmission tunnel out of. It'll make your life easier. Weld that in and you should be able to fit anything that will fit in a 240.

A small pause in life, the 242 will remain in storage for the next month or two while I find a new place to land, hopefully with a shop! Also picked up another project once the 242 is ?done?.

I dont get on TB much these days but always admired your work. Any movement on the 242?

Amazing work on such a cool classic Brick!

I admire your OCD as much as your self-control to not go full Turbobricks with this classic.

This car is nothing short of classy.

Thank you @new_volvo_guy and @myseofsmyles! 19 month bump and I can?t update diddly?good news is the car is t going anywhere, I won?t ever sell it. I?m dying to work on it and finish it Instagram and car shows kill me as much as I enjoy them I want my car ?done?! The compliments are motivating, I just don?t have a usable garage or space to work on it just yet. Hopefully soon?cheers fellas.

Back