• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Lucifer

My 82 had small exhaust but no cat in the DP. I'm not sure if 240 turbos came with 2.5.. I just know that myself along with a ton of people tweak 740T DPs for cheap and easy flow.

from what i've seen the n/a ones are 1 7/8 or 2" and the turbo cars are 2.25" That's why IPD has the stock turbo exhaust as an n/a upgrade.

The exhaust is 2.5" from turbo to just in front of the rear axle, then it goes down to 2.25". Discovered that while trying to piece together the 2.5" catback exhaust on my '85 with a flanged piece of pipe so I could run the gutted cat pipe from my old black '82 242, instead of the broken and bent cat pipe that was on the car.

-J

Passed emissions!!!
Installed new OEM shift knob, shift plate, OD button. Flushed the transmission with redline MTL. Installed new speedo cable w/ seals and found out that I need the new angle gear because mine is so worn out. I'm going to head to the DMV monday to get some plates on it now! It sounds so awesome. I'll have to get my wife to take a video of it's driveby. :-)

$200 later to Oregon DMV I finally have new plates. Not sure why it took almost 2 years to get my life sorted out enough to get them. Street legal now!!!

somebody at work this week noticed that my brake lights don't work. The circuit boards are cracked and corroded. My lenses are cracked and in bad shape too so I bought a set of these:
$(KGrHqZ,!hIE1fr)qKyVBNYFy8ov,g~~0_12.JPG

Should be here next week, I'll post up a picture of them installed. I need to have a windshield guy replace and update the front and rear seals too, they are all dried out and split.

Old:
190153_773222543933_27205833_41513789_7083546_n.jpg

New:
188374_773222738543_27205833_41513790_6840597_n.jpg

Plus wiring was screwed up for the tail lights, took it to RSI and they fixed it. I'll be visiting there more often from now on...Just need to get some more ca$h set aside for them.

those look great!

god i need a set of those lights... i put up a thread in the wanted section before but im reluctant to have them shipped over through ebay and find them all banged up and cracked in the package, also shipping was waay to much.. anyone know if theres a dutch or belgian company that imports them?

I worked on the car last night. Removed ALL extra crap in the car except for my tool box, removed a couple more vac lines and electrical lines not going anywhere, removed a handful of bolts/screws that weren't going to anything, removed the charcoal canister and all it's lines. The junk in the car was about 30lbs, the charcoal canister and all the nuts and bolts and hoses and clamps was about 20lbs.

I'm having a bunch of rattles underneath the car when the motor is revving, either from the exhaust or something else vibrating, it really detracts from the exhaust noise.

Bought some OEM body plugs to fill in the holes left from removing the AC system.

Just ordered up all new shifter bushings and injector seals to try and fix some more vac leaks to get a more stable idle. I think my head is hosed because it buzzes at 7k rpm. I have so much to do to this car!!

I think my head is hosed because it buzzes at 7k rpm. I have so much to do to this car!!
Your head, or the car's head?!!? You shouldn't be revving it that high... You need stronger valve springs to rev it that high, among other things. You trying to kill it?

It was more of an accidental thing, I bought the bosch 6500rpm rev limiter and it's much nicer then revving too high. 1st gear is too short in the m46!

Original:
384813_10100147113136163_27205833_43645397_245083060_n.jpg

Re-welded and partially polished:
389444_10100148126510353_27205833_43648551_1435988703_n.jpg

Painted black:
[forgot to take a picture when the paint was drying, I'll get one Monday]
An update! I bought Jordan's 3" turbo back exhaust, cleaned it, polished it and painted it flat black with ceramic paint. Maybe the paint will help with some heat? I'll get some install shots when it gets installed next week.

I removed the stock 45lb battery and 5lb plastic battery tray with a stainless steel one that is about 6oz for a 19lb miata battery with similar cranking amps. Another 20lbs of weight off the front of the car. I've been working on removing a bunch of weight from the car so far:
-40lbs from no a/c
-20lbs from battery
-40lbs from removing everything from the trunk (carpet, spare tire, tar, repair tools)
-20lbs from scraping the tar out from under the carpet (still working on this)
-12 pounds from switching to lightweight wheels (about 4lbs lighter per corner with the enkei race wheels versus virgos)
-20lbs from removing the stereo and all wiring
-5 pounds from removing charcoal canister and all brackets
-30lbs from removing the crash triangles from the rear of the car

There's about 180 pounds from little things, switching to skinny bumpers should pull off another 50 pounds (awaiting installation in the garage). The race seats I have in my house are about 25 pounds lighter per seat including brackets, the OEM ones are freaking heavy, maybe 40-50lbs each? All that stuff just pulled almost 300lbs out of the car without any extensive modification or cutting...

I hope to get the car down to 2600lbs eventually. Stock was 3000, so 400+lbs shouldn't be hard.

Pulled the old ugly trim off the car
photobucket-3697-1326248987136.jpg

having the paint under the trim buffed out and a vinyl shop making me a satin black stripe to cover up the holes. Hopefully they can touch up some paint chips at the same time. I'm hoping to have the car back by Thursday.

Performance oriented note: I weighed the trim and it came out exactly at 5 pounds, so more weight reduction woo!

edit: whoops, just realized this is a before picture, forgot to take an after trim removal picture before the detailers took it away.

Just curious... how stable did the 240 feel at 140mph? Pretty solid, or getting light & scary?

extremely light and scary! That was completely stock on a straight of road way out in eastern Washington. Probably a 3-5 mile straight shot to get up that high and brake. Not recommended with worn out suspension and brakes. The car is much nicer now, should be much more stable at high speeds.

With my suspension mods, my 240 is pretty good & stable @ 100 mph. I had to 104 mpg, before the mods,about all she'll do probably, but haven't tried over 100 with the mods.............yet.;-)

Back