• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Atom's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread

What do you do for work again?

General fabrication. My title is Senior Integration Engineer. What I actually do is proof of concept work, rapid prototyping and general problem solving. Currently at a satellite antenna company, but who knows next. I?ve done everything from complete custom car fabrication to composite ballistic armor development to paint/body and now RF systems integration.

That really sucks about your job. Any chance you'd consider doing customer builds ? If you were to put in even 1/2 of the effort into another car, I feel like a lot of people would be interested in buying it from you.

Dude, condolences about your department. I'd like to hope that someone with your obvious skills and motivation will be picked up by a better employer very soon.

2990cf161c4cab5b470270d07a3ef009.jpg

What are you using to stop the hood in the full open position? In some of the pics I can see what look like little sprung bumpers, forward of the base hinges - am I imagining that?

Also, cheers to making the hood swing far enough away from the front of the car to still give you good access to the front of the engine bay while open. That's a great feature.

Dude, condolences about your department. I'd like to hope that someone with your obvious skills and motivation will be picked up by a better employer very soon.

What are you using to stop the hood in the full open position? In some of the pics I can see what look like little sprung bumpers, forward of the base hinges - am I imagining that?

Also, cheers to making the hood swing far enough away from the front of the car to still give you good access to the front of the engine bay while open. That's a great feature.

At this point, nothing besides leverage and gravity for the flip forward. I?m adding a strut for the pop-up portion. The front hinges have adjustable stops for the forward flip. They?re universal parts from Amazon.

That really sucks about your job. Any chance you'd consider doing customer builds ? If you were to put in even 1/2 of the effort into another car, I feel like a lot of people would be interested in buying it from you.

The wife and I are discussing resurrecting Atom Design & Development and going out on my own. Then I?d be able to take on whatever work I want. It?s a bit scary, but could wind up for the best.

They?re universal parts from Amazon.

From Amazon. For Amazon. I see what you did there.

I'd say good luck -- but I can see clearly that you create your own. You'll be fine whichever direction you strike out in. Be sure you let us all know if you strike out on your own -- I would look for an opportunity to send some business your way.

From Amazon. For Amazon. I see what you did there.

I'd say good luck -- but I can see clearly that you create your own. You'll be fine whichever direction you strike out in. Be sure you let us all know if you strike out on your own -- I would look for an opportunity to send some business your way.

At one car show I had a guy walk up, look at my valve cover and mumble, ?they own everything else around here, might as well promote them on your car too? and walk away. 😆

The wife and I are discussing resurrecting Atom Design & Development and going out on my own. Then I?d be able to take on whatever work I want. It?s a bit scary, but could wind up for the best.

As of January I went on my own away from the film industry when the show I worked on for 3 seasons as Lead Set Dresser moved to Nola. The show actually ended June 2018 and I haven't been called since then for a single commercial which I usually get. I did one custom wood working job for some one local and all of sudden I have work just waiting to be bid on and touched. Its scary has hell to go on your own when you've been working 4 years straight, all union, heath insurance to being on your own. I even had to go LLC but its been the best thing Ive ever done. I even had time to grab a slice of pizza at Costco with my wife and do some day shopping.

I love working for myself even if Im making less money. I get to call the shots. You'll bounce right back up and you have 6 six weeks to prep for what could be a change in life direction work wise.

d8dfb9abb8bed2e61fb0166d023a5364.jpg
5258c279aceccc3d8a6dcc36205002ca.jpg

Masked up. Ready for a wipe down and roll into the booth tomorrow. Video will be up in YouTube of the masking shortly.

e1ab11f8a0444feac02cf8eed1b16d1c.jpg
9dc7f1deec498981beea154a1dc82f80.jpg
34cb8e4bb52ef30b23940c0d90f5a4a2.jpg

It’s done. A couple runs to clean up. Not bad considering I haven’t sprayed a complete in over ten years ��

Is that the sealer ? Got a cryptic text from Danny, couldn't quite figure it out.

I can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like you're well on your way to making the IPD deadline, you might even get a few days to relax before heading up!

Is that the sealer ? Got a cryptic text from Danny, couldn't quite figure it out.

I can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like you're well on your way to making the IPD deadline, you might even get a few days to relax before heading up!

The pictures Danny took are of the sealer. He left before the base was applied. This pic is done. The lights in the booth make it look really yellow. It?s interesting

Back home and ready to start the reassembly process. Weird thing that the doors look a different color even though there’s the same amount of material on everything and staggered overlaps. Oh well, I’ll deal with it later. Time to get to work

32690a4f1c44e6c5a133c9fcc31d7c69.jpg
9434fb771fa117d2e6a29320d53f2a42.jpg
b62dede0bfe200ee4856f11997713a27.jpg
5cf7055d3cb2abd5eed0c864bffbc896.jpg
4a8231883c220e99a2e468b36c1d0178.jpg
93b3233db48f0dc77a313b797e83177a.jpg

Back