• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Lolsigh, no real progress besides organizing parts yet to go on and ordering new parts. eEuroparts has a good price on Koni's and with a recent 10% off sale and a $50 rebate they were too temping. Looks like I'm going to go ahead and contact BNE sometime soon to order coilovers, BNE select camber plates and roll correctors. Waiting on my dad to come back from his winter home to help me with the M90, but I'd like to get the coilovers on before Cars and Coffee season really gets underway.

Last edited:
A bit of progress in prep for good weather. Placed an order with Bne:

20170325_154111.jpg

Finally got the back of the car leveled out properly and installed the Koni shocks in back.

20170325_180120.jpg

Didn't order a spanner wrench. Need to order a spanner wrench so I can move to the front end. Hopefully I'll get the front finished up this coming weekend.

Didn't order front coilovers because I don't think I have enough space with my current adapter/wheel setup. I'll run the TME springs I currently have installed in front with the Konis for the time being and see how it all works together. I'd like to get the BNE SELECT strut mounts eventually, but I'll have to see if I want to space my wheels out in front more and get adjustable coilovers for the front too.

Last edited:
Got motivated after work last night and installed the front Konis and took the car for a short drive. I have them on the softest setting right now. Just a touch firmer than the OE gas charged bits, but the damping is soooo nice. Perfect balance of ride and handling. I'll have to find a week where I can install the QSRCs with fresh ball joints and tie rod ends and then take it in to get aligned. I'm thinking that will probably wrap up the suspension side of things for a while. Hopefully the weather will be decent this weekend for Cars and Coffee and I'll snap some fresh pictures.

Last edited:
150s in the back, huh? You really are going for comfort here!

The motivator for the suspension work was to properly level out the back end. I was running TME springs with one side "shimmed" and before VCOA nats last year I cut the other side a coil or so because it was still higher on the passenger side. Big surprise, it threw off the back end.

I was on the phone with Ben about to order the whole shebang when I remembered how tight things are up front with my current adapter/offset setup. I opted to forego front coilovers for now since I'm pretty picky with muh fitmentz. I wanted something spring-wise in the back that would closely match the TME springs in the front. If I'm not happy with it, I'll adjust my spacer setup and get some BNE stuff for the front. I'm turning 40 in a couple months though... so comfort isn't a bad thing. ;-)

Now if I can get my dad in town for a weekend or two so I can get this stupid m90 in... I'll really, really be happy with things.

Damn that clean. You could serve dinner in your engine bay!

Haha, thanks.

I'm sure that I don't have to tell you, but you're gonna love the QSRC. Best mod I've done so far for overall driving pleasure. With stock length strut assemblies you may want a second set of hands to get them installed as it gets pretty tight in there.

I missed out on the BNE zip ties... gotta get on Ben for that haha. I've seen people make limiting straps out of seat belts before so maybe I'll try that out.

The motivator for the suspension work was to properly level out the back end. I was running TME springs with one side "shimmed" and before VCOA nats last year I cut the other side a coil or so because it was still higher on the passenger side. Big surprise, it threw off the back end.

I was on the phone with Ben about to order the whole shebang when I remembered how tight things are up front with my current adapter/offset setup. I opted to forego front coilovers for now since I'm pretty picky with muh fitmentz. I wanted something spring-wise in the back that would closely match the TME springs in the front. If I'm not happy with it, I'll adjust my spacer setup and get some BNE stuff for the front. I'm turning 40 in a couple months though... so comfort isn't a bad thing. ;-)

Now if I can get my dad in town for a weekend or two so I can get this stupid m90 in... I'll really, really be happy with things.

Haha, thanks.

No help needed to do that!! Do what I did. Rent a Hyndai Elantra through Costco for like, $70 a week and do the swap on your own, 2-4 hours a night, after the whole family is in bed sleeping :nod:

I'm sure that I don't have to tell you, but you're gonna love the QSRC. Best mod I've done so far for overall driving pleasure. With stock length strut assemblies you may want a second set of hands to get them installed as it gets pretty tight in there.

Sweet. What part do you need extra hands for? I'll have to give my wife a heads up.

No help needed to do that!! Do what I did. Rent a Hyndai Elantra through Costco for like, $70 a week and do the swap on your own, 2-4 hours a night, after the whole family is in bed sleeping :nod:

Oh, I have a DD, I'm just busy and lazy... and too old for that.

Went to my first CnC of the season. Still pretty happy with how it looks, handles and rides.

36068718145_e99e257826_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet. What part do you need extra hands for? I'll have to give my wife a heads up.

If you assemble the strut assembly with the spacer and ball joint first someone will only have to push down on the control arm to allow the ball joint to clear and then fall through its mounting hole.

I wanted to make an account so I could jump in this thread. I just got my 945 registered a few days ago after a paperwork nightmare, and your car is definitely going to be an inspiration for how clean I want my build to be. Amazing job. :-D

I wanted to make an account so I could jump in this thread. I just got my 945 registered a few days ago after a paperwork nightmare, and your car is definitely going to be an inspiration for how clean I want my build to be. Amazing job. :-D

Wow, thanks man! I really appreciate the compliment. Congrats on the wagon! I'll be looking for a project thread.

Not much progress lately besides fiddly little cleaning things and adding a Cherry Turbos lower brace. Just got back from a car show down the road. This is middle America, so it was 95% domestics with a few import offerings here and there.

35678837820_bec26217db_b.jpg

Last edited:
Rolling shot of my car on Gateway's road course. Didn't actually run the course, they just held a cars and coffee and we parked along it.

35678832770_305d019611_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back