home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #1
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Exclamation 240 Running a bit toasty

So I've started to notice, after bypassing the compensator, my temp reads a bit high. It never gets really uncomfortable hot, maybe a needle-width's above middle most of the time, is this normal? If not, what should I check for the cause?
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member
 
oldschoolvolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Default

Do you have an infrared thermometer? Check the thermostat housing for the actual temp reading to see if it is above normal.
__________________
-Mike
1998 V70 T5
1979 242 DL 16v

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Do you have an infrared thermometer? Check the thermostat housing for the actual temp reading to see if it is above normal.
Sorry ut how can I tell if it's an "infared"
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92White240 View Post
So I've started to notice, after bypassing the compensator, my temp reads a bit high. It never gets really uncomfortable hot, maybe a needle-width's above middle most of the time, is this normal? If not, what should I check for the cause?
this has been beaten to death.
the compensator was used to avoid questions exactly like this.
the cause is bypass of the board.
Did you not read any of the threads talking about this?
as above, use an IR thermometer on thermostat housing to eval ACTUAL temp and correlate to the gauge. the needle will not always be deadlocked on 9pm, actual temps vary slightly.

Short answer, the red zone is bad, below that, relax.

Great rela life demonstration what frustrated Volvo enough to make the faker a thing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Dammit, Lummert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92White240 View Post
Sorry ut how can I tell if it's an "infared"
google infrared thermometer
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
this has been beaten to death.
the compensator was used to avoid questions exactly like this.
the cause is bypass of the board.
Did you not read any of the threads talking about this?
as above, use an IR thermometer on thermostat housing to eval ACTUAL temp and correlate to the gauge. the needle will not always be deadlocked on 9pm, actual temps vary slightly.

Short answer, the red zone is bad, below that, relax.

Great rela life demonstration what frustrated Volvo enough to make the faker a thing
My compensator was causing the reading to be right under the red constantly, so I removed it, and I tried searching threads and all I could find it stuff on what to replace for a hot car. And I understand there's been many questions on this sort of topic, but, and not trying to be mean or sarcastic, do you really expect there to be a whole set of new content/threads everyday on this site?
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
google infrared thermometer
Am now realizing how stupid that question was, I thought there was some sort of other temp gauge some volvos had referred to as infrared. I understand
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92White240 View Post
My compensator was causing the reading to be right under the red constantly, so I removed it, and I tried searching threads and all I could find it stuff on what to replace for a hot car. And I understand there's been many questions on this sort of topic, but, and not trying to be mean or sarcastic, do you really expect there to be a whole set of new content/threads everyday on this site?
compensator "turbobricks"
159 esults on google
And I assume you must have learned a bit about the compensator when you learned that it existed and decided to bypass it.
To me, very puzzling sequence...
How does one learn to bypass the compensator without understanding what happens after
Quote:
do you really expect there to be a whole set of new content/threads everyday on this site?
yes I do, but I also expect and know most will be rehashed already answered questions by the lazy. '

no worries, sarcasm is not troublesome to me
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

[QUOTE=apachechef;6081325]compensator "turbobricks"
159 esults on google
And I assume you must have learned a bit about the compensator when you learned that it existed and decided to bypass it.
To me, very puzzling sequence...
How does one learn to bypass the compensator without understanding what happens after

This is my first car and as such, don't know much about cars. I was told about compensator boards by my dad whos had a fair bit of 240s, and wasn't yet aware of turbobrick's existence, so I just knew it was the problem, and he and I bypassed it. So yea puzzling. Thanks for the feedback, just didn't know to what degree running "warm" was normal
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

In general when you bypass the circuit. It causes the gauge to react properly to the engine. So you'll see the needle move about a bit more like for example as the thermostat opens and then temps level off you can see a spike on the gauge. Or if you are climbing a long hill loading the engine more. You'll see the gauge rise now because you don't have that stupid faker board in there.
__________________
Dave,
1982 242 turbo. 340k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
92White240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: pnw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
In general when you bypass the circuit. It causes the gauge to react properly to the engine. So you'll see the needle move about a bit more like for example as the thermostat opens and then temps level off you can see a spike on the gauge. Or if you are climbing a long hill loading the engine more. You'll see the gauge rise now because you don't have that stupid faker board in there.

Makes snese, thanks
92White240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #12
philski o'flood
Board Member
 
philski o'flood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Diego
Default

maybe try a cooler thermostat
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Joe Smith, Klendathu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philski o'flood View Post
maybe try a cooler thermostat
Some tape over the gauge is better
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.