home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
TempleUWS6
Board Member

Default Universal AC Compressor

Has anyone found what compressors on the market will work in place of a Kiki style unit or any rotary 85-92.

Will a Sanden 508 style work?

The dimensions seem pretty damn close to the Kiki unit I have in the garage. Just curious for future needs if anyone has experience with a universal one.
'76 BMW R75/6

Last edited by TempleUWS6; 05-16-2020 at 01:15 PM..
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
holtzboy
Honda CRV DD WTF

Also interested in this info as I want to resurrect the AC in my 86 244. I heard the 7 piston compressors would be a nice upgrade or at least have potential to perform better.

On a side note, do the compressors need to have the same style sensors the stock Volvo ones do? Its where the green wire connects to sensor and then seems to go between pulley and front of compressor.

My feedback thread
holtzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
90volvo
Board Member

Im about ready to upgrade my 90 240. I noticed Duracool has brand new compressors for cheap. I hope someone chimes in with some info.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
TempleUWS6
Board Member

As long as it has a single power wire to engage the clutch it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzboy View Post
Also interested in this info as I want to resurrect the AC in my 86 244. I heard the 7 piston compressors would be a nice upgrade or at least have potential to perform better.

On a side note, do the compressors need to have the same style sensors the stock Volvo ones do? Its where the green wire connects to sensor and then seems to go between pulley and front of compressor.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I bought a Four Seasons branded one from FCPeuro many years ago. It was physically a bit larger and had a larger diameter pulley than the original. It's lasted over ten years now. Had the same mounting tabs which fit the Volvo brackets perfectly. This was a R134 type for a 93 245.
1982 242 turbo. 340k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
holtzboy
Honda CRV DD WTF

All that pops up at FCPEuro is the OEM Volvo for $600+, RockAuto does list these though:

VARIOUS MFR 7511612 Info
Sanden; SD7H15; 6 Groove .75 IN X 4.927 IN; 8 Ear; Top Deep Pad; R Switch
$165.79

UAC CO2011Q {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} w/ Clutch Info One of our most popular parts
DKS15CH Style
$232.79

FOUR SEASONS 58521 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} w/ Clutch Info
w/ DKS15BH Compressor
$239.79

NISSENS 89321 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the USA. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide. Number of grooves: 2; Pulley diam.: 5-5/16"
$252.79
Old 05-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
durk80
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I bought a Four Seasons branded one from FCPeuro many years ago. It was physically a bit larger and had a larger diameter pulley than the original. It's lasted over ten years now. Had the same mounting tabs which fit the Volvo brackets perfectly. This was a R134 type for a 93 245.

I have the Four Seasons compressor on my 1990 240 too. It's still running after about 4 years-and blowing cool air. It probably could be colder but I didn't adjust the expansion valve like some members have done with better results. (I read about that after the fact!)
Glad to hear that your compressor is over 10 years old, dl242gt!
durk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Estateman
K-Jet or Bust

A friend bought and installed this sanden compressor. He had to slightly enlarge some of the mounting hardware to clear the power wiring but other than that it was a straight install. He ran R134a in it through his stock 87 AC system and simply had the AC lines retrofitted with filling ports to make checking/refilling refrigerant easy. Additionally he flushed the condenser and stripped it with an industrial condenser cleaner called Nu-Brite. He's been getting 30-40 degree vent temps with that system in our hot Texas sun.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #9
mschultz373
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estateman View Post
A friend bought and installed this sanden compressor. He had to slightly enlarge some of the mounting hardware to clear the power wiring but other than that it was a straight install. He ran R134a in it through his stock 87 AC system and simply had the AC lines retrofitted with filling ports to make checking/refilling refrigerant easy. Additionally he flushed the condenser and stripped it with an industrial condenser cleaner called Nu-Brite. He's been getting 30-40 degree vent temps with that system in our hot Texas sun.
this is awesome info. I gotta look into this, roasting in my 240 on I10 in New Orleans for 4 months was, at times, not fun.
mschultz373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
Ursan
Bored Member

I ordered this from Nostalgic Air nine years ago and never had an issue.
Over $200 now, but it was still a good experience. They're very helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedn_j View Post
So I’m a racist big deal who cares. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
I admit I'm stupid...

1990 780t Kind of Modded 1994 945t Pegz, Tintz, Hidz.
"Rear Wheel Drive, the way God intended. If a car is being pulled from the front, doesn't that mean it's being towed?"

"Lister, you are a polyp on the anus of society." - A.J. Rimmer

Last edited by Ursan; 05-19-2020 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: fixd
Ursan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
holtzboy
Honda CRV DD WTF

The link says oops. Some good info in this thread that gives me confidence I might actually be able to reinstall AC on my 240.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

There's an extra http:// at the end for some reason. Here's the fixed version:

https://nostalgicac.com/new-sanden-s...roove-893.html
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
holtzboy
Honda CRV DD WTF

Any reason you couldn't or shouldn't use the 7 cyclinder compressor for more powah?
Old 05-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

That four seasons one is a lower price than I paid over ten years ago. I paid $265 now it's down to a bit over $232.

If this is for the 1990. That year doesn't have a pusher fan. Add a pusher fan for much better slow speed and idling performance in the a/c.

Did you sell your 79?
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #15
TempleUWS6
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
That four seasons one is a lower price than I paid over ten years ago. I paid $265 now it's down to a bit over $232.

If this is for the 1990. That year doesn't have a pusher fan. Add a pusher fan for much better slow speed and idling performance in the a/c.

Did you sell your 79?
Good info guys. No, I'm working on the '79 now actually. I'm putting together a budget/ effort friendly AC builds on both my '90 and '79. I'm most of the way there on the 242.

As it's planned now:
-242 I ditched the York for a Kiki including bracket and '91-'93 PS pump
-Universal Parallel Flow condenser
-Fittings and hose from coldhose.com, got a crimper from eBay.
-As of now I have a 91+pusher fan, but I might comb the junkyard for different set up
-Envirosafe refrigerant
-Wired with just an AC on/off switch (early for the 242, snowflake for 245) with relays for the compressor and pusher fan
-Binary high/low pressure switch in the drier

That about covers it. I'll be documenting my process once I have it worked out.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #16
Estateman
K-Jet or Bust

Sounds like a good build. I’ll have to ask my friend again because he had done some extensive research especially on the parallel flow condensers and I thought I recalled him saying something about how they were great for flow but the second you get a compressor grenade and shoot metal all thru the lines that thing is toast and you cannot flush it out. So if you were to replace the condenser you may as well do compressor and do a decent flush before putting it in so that you get all the hunk out. Apparently the lines are so small in those new parallel flow condensers that once they’re clogged up, game over.
Estateman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #17
OttoB
Board Member

I got my 240 ac stuff from Diesel with Sanden compressor. It was Volvos own dealer installed ac kit. I think rockauto lists sanden if you choose diesel as a engine option.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #18
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleUWS6 View Post
-As of now I have a 91+pusher fan, but I might comb the junkyard for different set up
You're not going to find a better pusher fan. The oe fan works really well. They do wear out and stop working but you can just find another one in the junkyard if that happens.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #19
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

I'm planning on a similar setup in an 1980
I have the 1993 HVAC u nit going inside the car, and using the 1993 style drier/accum.
a custom parallel flow condenser
universal Sanden, with custom hoses , all routed underneath, eleiminating the cross engine hose
this thread has good info, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote